is this lab owner being a total jerk? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

LogansRun is offline Member

DefaultRe: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    I hope you don't think the owner is a total jerk because I am an overprotective lab mom too.
    haha i totally don't think you're a jerk and i myself am overprotective...almost to a fault. i just know that i am a new person on this forum and i wanted to see what the general consensus was. i am learning that a lot of people don't generally have their labs intergrated in dog parks, but where we live it is really our only option.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    I am not familiar with the dog park scene,as we don't have them in our area. I have read numerous posts in this forum on or about dog parks. I'm more concerned with dog parks and dog owners than I am with dogs. I get the impression that some dog owners use the dog park as place to exercise their unbehaved, uncontrolled dogs because it's fenced and they don't have to do anything.

I prefer training my dogs so we can enjoy off leash romps outside of fenced areas.We socialize our dogs on leash and off leash. Most people who have faith in their dogs training walk the trail s and woods in our area. Those that don't, leash their dogs.It put's your mind at ease.

If we had a dog park I would be hesitant to use it.
    yeah there can be lazy owners for sure. and if they own a dog that can kick any other dog's butt, then they don't have to worry because if a fight breaks out, their dog will be the one on top. i have encountered people that have said things like this to me. these dog parks are more like "unwritten rule" dog parks, there are no fenced in areas, they are just huge areas of woods, fields, and water. 90% of the dogs are trained well but there is always that wild card that you have to fear i guess because logan won't always come on the first call. he'll run right up to them and sniff around and try to do "lab play" with any breed. he is a model citizen when we are alone, but when there are other dogs around, my commands turn into suggestions :-\

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Why should you protect your Labrador? ??? Because: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I suppose you've never had a dog badly attacked and end up fearful and reactive as a result. Good for you!

I'm afraid I'm a bit on the protective side as well...

Now, first of all: I ADORE Pit Bulls. My heart dog, Crash, was part Pit, and there was never a gentler, sweeter soul. Pit Bulls will forever hold a special place in my heart because of him.

HOWEVER...

If Angus and I were out somewhere and I saw a Pit Bull coming up off-leash, you can bet your bottom dollar we'd be leashed up and gone so fast it would make your head spin. Pit Bulls were bred to be passive to humans, but ruthless with other dogs. Not all are this way, granted, but the tendency is there...and I know enough about my dog to know that if anybody will spark this tendency in another dog, it's going to be Angus. :-\

So, your friend may be a little on the paranoid side about Pits...but maybe he's had a bad experience with having his dog attacked by another dog. It's not fun, believe me.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    If Angus and I were out somewhere and I saw a Pit Bull coming up off-leash, you can bet your bottom dollar we'd be leashed up and gone so fast it would make your head spin. Pit Bulls were bred to be passive to humans, but ruthless with other dogs. Not all are this way, granted, but the tendency is there...and I know enough about my dog to know that if anybody will spark this tendency in another dog, it's going to be Angus. :-\

So, your friend may be a little on the paranoid side about Pits...but maybe he's had a bad experience with having his dog attacked by another dog. It's not fun, believe me.
    ok i admit it! i'm the guy who is overprotective! i used our friend felony and her owner as the scapegoats, but i am actually the person. i just didn't want to get run off of these boards if i said something extremely unpopular. so now - - you can all laugh and throw things at me! i am super overprotective of logan and i just thought i was acting irrational. i guess i'm not. but then again, we're all on a message board talking about labrador retrievers so i should assume everyone here is a little obsessive about labs and naturally overprotective! i'm ashamed but hey i'll get over it! i try and live in the present like my dog.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Relax!

The thing about Labs (some Labs, not all Labs) is that they have a very, um, exhuberant nature. This is not always well-received, unfortunately. :-\ So if you have one of those bubbly, in-your-face types, I am finding that you have to be extra diligent in protecting them from theselves. :-[

But, OTOH, just because it is a Pit Bull doesn't mean it is inherently evil As I said, Crash was a Pit Mix, and bless his sweet heart, he never caused me one moment's grief. He was not nuts about other dogs coming in his yard and rushing him. This happened on several occasions - he would be tied out front (with us present, of course...never unsupervised). He would just be lying in the yard sunning himself while we gardened or whatnot. Another dog would come running up to him and yipping and yapping. He would adopt his signature dominant stance - chest out, head high, legs planted firmly, quizzical look on his face that seemed to say, "Who the hell do you think you are, little pipsqueak?" Usually his size alone was enough to intimidate the other dog into a retreat, but occasionally there was the little terrier who wouldn't give up. Crash would make a single lunge and maybe a low growl, but as soon as he moved I would give him a verbal command to take it easy, and he would comply. Very obedient, sweet Crash.

There are some well-socialized Pit Bulls who could play with your dog just fine, I believe. I've had another Pit mix over to play with the boys, and he was very Crash-like. Not extremely playful, but very tolerant and obedient. The thing about dog parks is, you just don't know what you're dealing with. So, better safe than sorry!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Not so much a jerk, but definitely freaked out by certain breeds.

My neighbor across the street is a dog lover thru and thru. That is, until two years ago when two german shepherds were roaming our neighborhood, and attacked her in her own front yard. She had over a hundred stitches on her right arm and across her cheek - scars she'll carry for life.

I don't blame her one bit for being paranoid around dogs now, and would understand if she directed her fears towards GS's.

I agree with ROTTNLABS: any dog has the potential to be dangerous.

Whatever the reason this guy gets freaked out, let him. Until you ask and find out, you just don't know for sure what he's basing his reason on.

My Sammie has had several pit bull wrestle partners at the dog park. I watch very carefully, try not to overreact and always keep Sam close to me when ANY of the dogs start to fight.

I have read, however, that a pit bull can walk up to you with his tail wagging and attack without warning. I know they were bred for generations to be dog aggressive, not people aggressive. If I see a lab near a lake, I think its in his nature to jump in. If I see a pit bull around other dogs, I think they have been bred to be dog aggressive.

If I see loose pit bulls out and about when I'm walking Sam I immediately go on mental alert with every intention of protecting Sam if they even think about attacking him. The only dog that has tried to attack Sam on my long evening walks was a standard poodle, male and un-neutered and off his leash. He didn't hurt Sam with his first lunge and I screamed bloody murder at him while I stepped in front of Sam. He backed off and his owner then got him under control. I actually keep an eye on standard poodles these days...they are pretty alpha. :0)

Felix Guest

I think it sounds stupid, but the Pitbull is forbidden over here in the Netherlands, and the Staffordshire (english/american) without a pedigree are also forbidden :-X

Trickster is offline Senior Member

While I think it is unnecessary to make a big scene, I don't see any harm in being over protective. I'm the first to admit that if I see a dog of a certain breed off leash I'll go out of my way to avoid them. I'll avoid German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Boxers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers if I see them coming. If I have no choice but to cross pathes with owners of these breeds I will ask them if their dog is ok. If they say the dog/dogs are fine, that is ok with me. Otherwise I darn well expect them to have 100% control of their animal...dangerous dogs should not be off leash.

I gues he or she can manage it perfectly by their self,
    Manage what? a fight? if so, that is simply not true. Some Labradors will defend themselves, others will not. Labradors are not an aggressive or confrontational breed so when faced with a "fight" many will try to run or shut down. I assure you if you ever have to witness a serious dog fight you would think differently...

Back to the original post, I know it is not easy when you have a limited number of places to walk but avoiding peak walking times means you avoid most dog owners. I'm not an antisocial person but I walk at off peak hours to avoid the masses. That is usually early in the morning (6-8am), mid morning/early afternoon (11-2pm) and late evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Back to the original post, I know it is not easy when you have a limited number of places to walk but avoiding peak walking times means you avoid most dog owners. I'm not an antisocial person but I walk at off peak hours to avoid the masses. That is usually early in the morning (6-8am), mid morning/early afternoon (11-2pm) and late evening.
    ^^ the only tricky thing with that is in our area, sometimes the nutjobs who are trying to get their psycho dog some exercise think they are being responsible by taking them during off hours so they can run free and not rip any other dogs apart. so if you go during off hours you are just as likely to encounter a vicious dog! arrrrgh you can't win.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast