Rescue versus dream puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescue versus dream puppy

DefaultRescue versus dream puppy

Next year Sam will be four years old. I've been reading about local Colorado breeders and have found 2 or 3 that seem very promising. I want another puppy strictly for a pet and have no aspirations for breeding (had to get that out of the way )

I'm torn between selecting the lab puppy of my choice or getting a rescue lab. I'm thrilled for each Just Labs person who gets a beautiful new puppy that they have carefully chosen from a breeder.

Am I selfish to want to go the puppy route?

Julie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rescue versus dream puppy

No, youre not selfish. You are entitled to get the exact kind of puppy you want.

This is how I reconcile your struggle within my own conscience.

First, we do have a rescue dog. He will be 15 in Sept. I support rescues, financially, with transport when I can, and fostering if it's the right situation and in any other ways I can. I buy from their stores, enter raffles, send emails, etc.
    So you can do both. Most of the reputable breeders are staunch allies of rescues and support them in many ways.

Thanks for your response. I really do feel that contributing in any way I can to the rescue cause is the way I can help with all the labs and dogs out there that so desparately needs homes. I think about those dogs often, especially when Dani and Joe talk about the dogs they help. They are our true angels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That is a good question and one I struggled with last year when researching and deciding to get a dog. One reason I wanted a puppy from a good breeder was to tip the scales in Tal's favor about temperament, health and such. That paid off handsomly.

Like WeheartLabs said, breeders support rescues and that is important. I am hoping to get a second dog in the next year or two and am seriously considering a rescue. You should feel comfortable with whatever you decide and enjoy your new furkid, whether a puppy or a rescue. there are pros and cons to both but with proper training, love and patience, either way you'll have a loving, loyal companion for life.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

No, you're not selfish. You should get the dog or puppy that you want.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Dani is offline Senior Member

Nope, you are not selfish. I am a rescuer and I got a dog from a breeder because I wanted to show in conformation. I love each foster dog with all of my heart, and I get excited to hear updates after they leave, but they were meant to brighten other's lives, not mine. I will probably one day own one of my rescues that I just can't part with. Rider was my first dog that I did everything wrong (purchasing wise) with. He's pet bred, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. You have to be happy.

Rescues can be just as full filling as dogs from great breeders. Do your research on both.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Hi Colo Sammie - Since I'm in Colorado too, I was wondering what breeers you've found around here you like. I'm also not sure where I'll get my next dog. I got Neiko from a small breeder in Buena Vista.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I really struggled with this exact thing...

I volunteer at the SPCA a great deal, and felt totally selfish for getting a brand new pup from a breeder. We have loved Baloo since before he was even born, and so many of the dogs I deal with have never known any kind of love, and they could be years and years old!

So I carried a lot of guilt every time I went in and had to look at all of their pleading faces... ugh sooo heart wrenching. :'(

BUT, I have cats. I have a little dog, and a b/f who is uncomfortable (not afraid, but uneasy) around large dogs he doesn't know. Combine that with the fact that we really wanted that "lab" temperament without all the health problems that "mis-bred" labs can have... and we decided to go the puppy-route.

I don't regret it, and I feel a lot better about it now, but it did take awhile!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others, you are not being selfish! There is nothing wrong with you wanting to get your perfect little puppy from a good breeder. There are so many ways to help rescues. The local rescue I am close to here is so appreciative of help in any form.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You know, you could always rescue a puppy and have it both ways.

I agree, you should go with your heart on a decision as big as this.

I will probably always have rescues. I think part of it is that I know I would have a hard time living with the guilt of not having taken one in who was really in need. That's just me...I have a hard time letting go of things sometimes, especially guilt. :-[

This is a big part of it for me as well, I think: I love a good "rags to riches" story. Cinderella syndrome. One of my most favorite things in life is to make something from nothing.

My ancestors were peasants, farmers, etc. There is not a drop of "blue" blood in my veins So finally, I guess I relate to the common dog, the mutt.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast