Need advice for a co-worker with 10month old with SA
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for a co-worker with 10month old with SA

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice for a co-worker with 10month old with SA

Okay - my friend at work is at her wits end. She wanted to return her sweet golden to the breeder last night.

Rebound has been home with somebody for his whole puppyhood - until the last few months. He's never been crated during absences, except for when they went on holiday and their son watched him. That particular crating last about 20 minutes.

See, Rebound won't stay in his crate quietly. He throws himself around like a great white thrashing in the ocean trying to twist chunks off a giant seal. The crating mentioned above - resulted in him scraping fur off his face and bleeding, he just freaks out too badly.

This week Rebound has eaten carpet, the kitchen floor, a universal remote, shoes and garbages.

My friend is at her wits end. How do you crate a pup that freaks out and does harm to himself? She's tried rescue remedy, tried tiring the snot out of him before work, and is reluctant to leave him outside, or in a bathroom for fear he'd just eat the walls or door.

Any suggestions guys?

Many thanks in advance.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What kind of crate is she using?
    Has she tried toys in the crate?
    Has she tried leaving the crate open (take the door off) and feeding him in there?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Awww poor baby. A 10 month old Golden will get on anyone's nerves, believe me!

How about the old stand-by, the frozen kong with yogurt & PB? I would give him one in there, close the gate, and go in the other room to see how he reacts. The kong should distract him for awhile, plus show him the crate can be a good thing. I would also feed him in there, twice a day, with the door closed. Have her leave the room while he's eating.

I've also found that Macy needs alot more exercise to tire her ass out than both of my labbies did.

Keep us posted, OK?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

she's using a metal crate - she's admitted it's probably too big for him, and is looking into buying a divider so he has just enough room to turn around and lie down in, in the hopes that less space equals less room to thrash.

She usually takes him for a big walk/run/exercise in the morning before she goes - but she said he's just so high energy that that doesn't even really help him - he's raring to go 20 minutes later all over again.

personally, I think he's too smart for his own good. I'm gonna keep checking her throughout the day for suggestions, she's very, very appreciative of those given so far.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Has she tried covering the crate?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Poor Rebound. A smaller crate might help some and LOTS of exercise!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I dont' think he needs a smaller crate at 10 months. I would opt for a plastic one or cover the wire one. I would also start feeding ALL meals in the shut crate so the dog learns that the crate is a good thing. If they got him as a pup and he's 10 months old and still fussing in the crate, my gut is telling me that they babied him too much and didn't force him to put up with the crate when he was 10 weeks! My Jack hated his crate, and he still fusses going in. But he knows he doesn't win these fights, eventually resigns and goes in. When he's particulary mad at me, he'll howl incessantly, where I can hear him outside in the driveway. And sometimes when I get home, his brother is let out of the crate while Jack needs to settle down until he's allowed out.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The booklet by Dr. Patricia McConnell "I'll be Home Soon" -- how to treat and prevent SA

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/pro...ration-anxiety

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Samson is offline Senior Member

All good advice Kaz ! You will let them know that there's not a quick fix won't you !

I'd try feeding him his meals in his crate, with the door open at first. Then after a week or so, start closing the door for a few seconds at a time without walking away, then lengthen out the amount of time the door is closed, then start moving away from the crate just a few steps at a time while the door is closed, etc. It's probably in the booklet BobPr. linked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast