Sam's Heritage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam's Heritage

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

QuestionSam's Heritage

So I was talking to a friend the other day and I was commenting on how Sam doesn't look like an adult lab although he's past his 1st birthday. I say he just looks like a puppy still like he hasn't grown into his ears or something. Then we got to talking about how he has a much thinner face than is lab normal.

He asked me if was mixed with anything and I said that the rescue we got him from had classified him as a Lab mix because he had a bit of white on his chest/neck and an itty bitty bit between a toe. We all know that black labs can get some white on them. I mentioned that to the vet at his first puppy checkup and she replied "If he's anything other than lab it sure isn't showing through!"

Well we kept looking at pictures of Sam and my friend says "You know I wonder if he doesn't have some greyhound in him somewhere." Hmm...

So I keep thinking and keep looking and then I remembered a friend in the UK had sent me a picture of his Weimaraner and I had commented when I saw the pic "Well that looks like a skinny lab!" Of course I can't find the picture now that I'm trying too, so I googled images the breed and found this picture.

So I run outside with Sam and try to get him in a similar pose...

And this one I had to throw in just because he looks hilarious in it!

So what do you guys think? Could he have some in there? Possibly his Mum or Dad is a Weimaraner? I noticed the white spots in the same place on his as in the breed.

Just a curiousity I've had since he didn't grow into a labby face.
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Some field bred labs are pretty tall and skinny. He looks all lab to me! Jackson had a head that looked like a puppy until this year when he turned 3. It was amazing comments went from "Cute Puppy" to "Beautiful Dog" in just a matter of a couple of months.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Is he a bit brindle in his colour? or is that skin lol! His tail looks thinner too but other than that I would say field bred lab

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I'd say Sam is a purebred lab. Not a well-bred lab, but definately purebred. I don't see Weim at all. At first I thought that first photo WAS him.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Its not the best pic of HK to show the similarity, but she is all Lab. Field bred and on the slim side. I think you have a purebred, but just don't have the papers to prove it. Also don't think it matters much, will it change the way you feel about him? I doubt it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Sam is built much the way our Champ is. Champ is tall and leggy, with a long nose and narrow head, but he's AKC registered Lab. I think Sam is all Lab.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I Also don't think it matters much, will it change the way you feel about him? I doubt it.
    OH of course not!! We love him! It was just out of curiosity. Happy's half lab and half golden and I couldn't love him more.

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf View Post
    Is he a bit brindle in his colour? or is that skin lol! His tail looks thinner too but other than that I would say field bred lab
    That's skin! He's still trying to get that beautiful black coat back from his skin problems we've been dealing with.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Love your ticker! LOL!!!

It's so appropriate!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast