Need help please! Angus/torn nail - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help please! Angus/torn nail

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, and also: Thanks for all your well-wishes. Hi to all of you! I've missed you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Never hurts to just call other vets just to see what they say? A good vet is worth their weight in gold!

To heck with that assistant being a PITA! Ours always talk to me, if they're busy they ask if they can put me on hold for a few.
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

No Connie, they just charged me for a regular office visit and he was fine right away.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    "We will give him something to knock him out, give him something else and he will wake right back up." I picked him up and he was woozy as a drunk, and remained so for 36 hours.
    Forgot to mention.. sounds like they did the injectable anesthesia, and it is in the body until it is metabolized or excreted. They then give another shot that "reverses" the effects of the injectable anesthesia. Some animals take a while to respond, but this is the less expensive route for anesthetia.

I'm not a big fan of that kind of anesthesia because it's not as safe as isoflurane, which is the inhalant kind where they put the mask over the animal's face.. if you need to "reverse" it, you just remove the mask.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Hi Connie! Unfortunately, I have no advice, but I also would be really hesitant to put him under again. Costs aside, surgery always brings risks, so why do it if you don't need to?

dweck is offline Senior Member

CONNIE!!! Great to hear from you, but I wish it were under better circumstances.

Unfortunately, I have no advice on the nail. I do sympathize, however, with the anguish of having to make medical decisions with friggin ECONOMICS as one of the drivers. Facing the same deal w/Wes.....

Anyway, best to you and Kevin (praying for his job prospects -- I didn't know -- that sux) and let us know what happens w/Angus, huh?

In other words, don't be such a stranger!

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio View Post
    Hi Connie! Unfortunately, I have no advice, but I also would be really hesitant to put him under again. Costs aside, surgery always brings risks, so why do it if you don't need to?
    Hi Nathan! Yes, exactly right. Angus does not seem to rebound very well from anesthesia, which makes me worry even more.

This is all really making my stomach hurt.

Dan!! How are you? What's going on with Wes? I hope nothing serious. It truly does suck that money has to be a factor, but it just is.

BUT, if I were convinced that surgery was the only thing to do, I wouldn't be dragging my feet as much. I don't know...I had a feeling like it was a little over the top last time, but I went ahead and did it. If they suggest it again, I'm really going to choke and they might be seeing a lot less of me.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Last year Judy split a nail and was constantly licking it. I took her in and he took her in the next room, came out ten minutes later. He had cauterized and trimmed it. It was wrapped in that stretchy tape that sticks together. The bill listed it as "tonail trim, $17.80" She was fine afterward.
    Maybe he went easy on the bill because I was picking up Bruno from a neuter, and had Mitzi there for blood work at the same time.
    I hope Angus gets better. I would seriously consider the opinion of another vet before letting him go under anesthesia again.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

UPDATE: Just talked to my vet (he did call me back). I really do love him very much. That receptionist is just a PITA. She's the only one...the others are much more cooperative with me.

Anyway, feeling MUCH better. He reassured me this was not going to mean another surgery, that he would just take a look at it and probably trim it back a little. So, we (or maybe just Kevin) will take Angus there later today.

This had my stomach twisted in knots this morning. It already is starting to feel a little better.

I really appreciate all your advice and stories. You guys are the most knowledgeable, helpful bunch in the world. I guess the take-away is, I got ripped off with that surgery last time. But I do really like this vet, a lot. This is the only time he's done something over the top. I will give him one I guess, because he's otherwise been great.

Dan, I want to read about Wes but can't right this minute...of course today I am slammed (first time in two months...it has to happen today, naturally). I will read Wes' story in a little bit (leaving this window open).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast