Hoppy is getting clean teeth/clean mouth today!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoppy is getting clean teeth/clean mouth today!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Thumbs upHoppy is getting clean teeth/clean mouth today!

When we got Hoppy, the vet said he had quite a bit of tarter built up, and he's had bad breath ever since we had him. But the vet didn't want to do a teeth cleaning on him until it was absolutely necessary (he doesn't like to put dogs under anesthesia unless he has to).

So we've waited 6 months. I took him back, and it's time....now. His gums are reddened and a little puffy.

So....this morning, Hoppy goes in with a foul mouth and comes home all fresh and clean!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Woohoo Hoppy!!! Can't wait to see your pearly white teethies!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't like any animal going under either, including human ones. HK has dental issues (enamel hypoplasia) and her teeth have to be kept clean. I brush her teeth every night. The vets tell me that they are amazed how healthy her teeth are staying. They canceled her two cleanings because I have been able to keep them clean. Its not hard, she doesn't mind it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

You'll notice the sweet breath straight away. I had my Pugs teeth done only yesterday. My vet's like yours - he'll only give anaesthetic when he HAS to especially with Pugs.

Poor guy came home minus 10 teeth. Holly, my GSD was happy because now he's got 10 less to bite her with!.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    You'll notice the sweet breath straight away. I had my Pugs teeth done only yesterday. My vet's like yours - he'll only give anaesthetic when he HAS to especially with Pugs.

Poor guy came home minus 10 teeth. Holly, my GSD was happy because now he's got 10 less to bite her with!.
    Oh my! I'm sorry for your little guy. Why so many? Hope he feels okay today.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness....what happened to his teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Oh my goodness....what happened to his teeth?
    Combination of age (10yrs) & having a lousy set of teeth to start with. When I got him at 4 months, most of his bottom baby teeth were crooked. I didn't care because I had no intention of showing or breeding from him - I just wanted another Pug & he sure filled that purpose.

He's not one of those cooperative dogs that will just let you open his mouth & brush his teeth. You almost have to sit on him to cut his claws so the only way to do his teeth properly is to put him under. When I took them in for their vaccinations 2 weeks ago, I told the vet, "you HAVE to clean his teeth before he gets periodontal disease". He had one look & agreed. If I'd known they were THAT bad, I would have nagged him sooner but like him, I didn't want to anethesize him until it was really necessary. Pugs are tricky dogs to knock out because of their flat faces & compressed airways so it's not a decision you make lightly. He gets plenty of nylabones & other tough chewies so I was pretty surprised at how many he had out. I was expecting maybe 3-4 not 10.

justine is offline Senior Member

Combination of age (10yrs) & having a lousy set of teeth to start with. When I got him at 4 months, most of his bottom baby teeth were crooked. I didn't care because I had no intention of showing or breeding from him - I just wanted another Pug & he sure filled that purpose.

He's not one of those cooperative dogs that will just let you open his mouth & brush his teeth. You almost have to sit on him to cut his claws so the only way to do his teeth properly is to put him under. When I took them in for their vaccinations 2 weeks ago, I told the vet, "you HAVE to clean his teeth before he gets periodontal disease". He had one look & agreed. If I'd known they were THAT bad, I would have nagged him sooner but like him, I didn't want to anethesize him until it was really necessary. Pugs are tricky dogs to knock out because of their flat faces & compressed airways so it's not a decision you make lightly. He gets plenty of nylabones & other tough chewies so I was pretty surprised at how many he had out. I was expecting maybe 3-4 not 10.
    I've seen worse in cats.. especially since they have those little itty bitty teeth (incisors) in the front between their canines. But 10 teeth is a LOT for a dog!! Were they mostly incisors or were there a few molars, too?

I can't wait for pics of Hoppy with sparkling white teefies!!

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    10 teeth is a LOT for a dog!! Were they mostly incisors or were there a few molars, too?
    Don't know Justine. I didn't ask. I was too at the quantity to think to ask. I'm giving him at least a week before I try & look because his mouth's going to be pretty sore for a while. He's going back to the vet in 2 weeks for a check up so I'll find out more then.

And I agree. We need pics of Hoppy's new pearly whites.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Hoppy and his teethies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast