I live in England it is a wet food supposed to be low in calories and mixer biscuits are biscuits that are made to mix with wet food, but I am beginning to feel that she is getting too many of theseOriginally Posted by jzgrlduffSaska is 20 months old and gets a good game of fetch in morning as in true lab fashion she loves her ball, but with the hot weather now coming in I will limit her to 10 minutes at a time, can I do this several times a day say early morning and late evening? We have been to the beach this morning but for some reason she is frightened to swim although she loves the water, any ideas on how to coax her to swim as it would be good exercise for her I really want to do what is best for herOriginally Posted by myfavoritedog
Does it really get that hot in England? I did not realize that, given the country's latitude.Saska is 20 months old and gets a good game of fetch in morning as in true lab fashion she loves her ball, but with the hot weather now coming in I will limit her to 10 minutes at a time, can I do this several times a day say early morning and late evening?
I thought you might live in the UK.
So she is getting two cans of Chappie and mixer? my first suggestion would be to cut back to one can per day. 2 cans is way too much. Feed half a can at each meal.
My second suggestion would be to ditch the mixer. Any idea what mixer you are using? generally, mixers are full of grains and are not great in terms of quality of ingredients.
My final suggestion would be to actually get her off the Chappie and the mixer all together. Chappie is ok but personally, I wouldn't feed it in the long term. There are much better quality wet and dry products available.
My favorite wet food is Nature Diet: http://www.naturediet.net/index.html
And my favorite kibble: www.wellbeloved.co.uk
Two other excellent kibbles are Eagle Pack and Fromm's: http://www.postalpetsproducts.co.uk/
If my crew weren't doing great on the Wellbeloved they would be on Eagle Pack.
It certainly can, especially in the summer.Does it really get that hot in England? I did not realize that, given the country's latitude.
Right now my outdoor thermometer is reading 70 degrees although it doesn't feel that hot.
Originally Posted by Trickster
The mixers are pedigree chum, I know what you mean about Naturediet but I have tried this and James wellbeloved and neither agreed with her she had the runs a lot since being on Chappie she has settled down and no problems, The chappie is the small tins, not the big ones is this still too much?. I will take a look at eagle pack ???
While the chart below is applicable for all dogs, some special allowances need to be made for traditional, "bench" line Labs which are chunkier, blockier and shorter coupled than "field" line Labs.
Nevertheless, the view from above is critical. Whether Bench/Show/"English" or Field/"American", there should be a definite "Coke bottle" waist just forward of the hips.
Labs live longer and have fewer health problems if fed a diet less than normal:
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
Thanks Bob! ;D
Yes thanks Bob the sites were very interesting.
You want to avoid anything by Pedigree.The mixers are pedigree chum, I know what you mean about Naturediet but I have tried this and James wellbeloved and neither agreed with her she had the runs a lot since being on Chappie she has settled down and no problems, The chappie is the small tins, not the big ones is this still too much?. I will take a look at eagle pack
These are the ingredients of a Pedigree mixer:
Meat and animal derivatives (min 4% chicken) Cereals (min 4% rice) Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegtable origin, minerals.
As you can see, only 8% of the ingredients have been accounted for. What about the other 92%? basically, when you feed a food with unspecified sources, you have no idea what is going into your dog. "Meat and animal derivatives" could mean anything. You must always avoid foods that do not specify a meat source. The first or second ingredient should be a "chicken meat meal" or another meat protein.
The Chappie doesn't worry me. If she is ok with that, good, but I would seriously think about ditching the Pedigree.
Some other dry foods:
I don't think these foods are great but they are MUCH better than Pedigree.
What do think about Ekanuba Dog food I see there is a new one out specifically for Labradors?