Update on the laby girl needing surgery and our program.

Thread: Update on the laby girl needing surgery and our program.

DefaultUpdate on the laby girl needing surgery and our program.

OK, guys and gals - I apologize for spreading so much sadness but now we have some good news.

I've rcvd a few pledges toward her treatment of and a tentative offer for a recovery foster home. Of course I have to now firm these up but I did speak to the surgeon last night and commit to taking her.
    He is very hopeful about her recovery and thinks the world of this dog. He said that even when she was in terrible pain right after the accident - she has remained calm, sweet and loving and can't seem to give them enough love. She has handled all of her time at the clinic with grace and he was practically in tears thinking that he might have to put her down.

Deb, thanks for your info. We are shopping around but so far - his offer of half price is the best offer we've rcvd. I have some calls into a few others vets, not surgeons to get quotes from them as well. Vet care here in Houston is expensive and even the vet school a few hours away is in this same discounted range. I wonder why it's so high here???
    I'll also look at the other options. I sent Labmed and email yesterday giving them a heads up on her case and telling them that I would be submitting an app in the next 24-48 hours and I'd also planned on talking to Paola about OSLF.

So, yes I'm committed to this girl and yes, someone needs to slap me and give me a refresher course on saying "NO"!

OK, so there's more good news. The heartbreaker that I've been looking at all week is a 2-3 year old yellow male that is at an animal impound facility - that means that he can only be reclaimed by his owner or pulled by rescue after his 72 hour hold. They do not do adoptions. Typical small TX town issue. Anyway this Casanova is a gentle giant, sweet, well behaved, very people oriented and can't sit fast enough when you ask him to - he also gives the greatest bear hugs - very gently placing his paws around you. The volunteers over there were sure that his owners were going to walk in any day to claim him since he is nearly perfect, but so far, no one has even asked about a dog fitting his description. I mentioned him to a few of my volunteers and they’ve pledged funds toward his vetting and we’re working on a fund for his boarding since we have several dogs in line in front of him for our next available foster space. His time is up today and if no one claims him, we will take him.

So, 2 more are making it into our program – but now we really must stop in-take for a while.
    I know there will be 5 more tomorrow but I’ll have to turn them away. It’s sad but necessary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on the laby girl needing surgery and our program.

i don't think of rescue thread as sad postings. in fact, i'm glad to see them on the forum, because it is all too easy to become blissfully unaware or blind to the reality of our pet overpopulation problem.

lots of luck and good thoughts for your new intakes.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

That is good news!

Good luck and good thoughts for all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hallelujiah! That just made my day!!!!! ;D ;D
    Oh thank God Dina.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Wonderful news!
    Brenda from Connecticut

Great news thank you so much for all that you do for these babies.

I'm glad to hear there is a way for you to take her on. I know how they can tug on your heartstrings.
    Keep posting about your foster home needs and maybe some new ones will read of your needs and volunteer. Our rescue runs a small ad in the Sunday paper asking for foster homes. You might want to try that -- some papers will give you a free ad even. Also try posting ads at the local pet supply stores with photos of dogs looking for foster homes/forever homes as well as at dog parks. Some of them will let you have booths there where you can show case your rescues as well as give out applications for foster homes, adoption, etc. (maybe you already do that) It is surprising how many pet owners do not know about rescue groups and how they work so the more you can get the word out, the better. Again, I really think contacting the media is another great way to approach cases like this. If you can get more help for this dog then you can help the next one and the next one, etc.
    Keep up the good work! Let me know if you need help applying to LABMED.
    Deb

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Wow. That's such great news!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I've been holding my breath since your first post. I think you have terrific news, and remember..A way will open...

Any updates Dina did you get her? Good luck with her.