Tail Wagging and Seizures
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tail Wagging and Seizures

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultTail Wagging and Seizures

Riley had one humdinger of a seizure this morning. Which is entirely upsetting on many levels, not the least of which is that he has been nearly 7 months seizure-free after starting on a regimen of phenobarb. This one was the worst ever; rigidity, excessive drooling, paddling, chomping his jaws and loss of bowel/bladder. :'( 3, maybe 4 minutes in length.

God, I can't tell you how difficult these things are to watch. :'(

It happened shortly after we awoke. I got up, and he started to follow me to the bathroom. But, he didn't make it to the bathroom. Instead, I found him rigid and convulsing in the hallway that leads to the bathroom. The strange thing was, and I am nearly 100% positive this hadn't ever happened before, he wagged his tail when he saw me coming back down the hall towards him?? Other then that, and for the duration of the seizure, it was as if I wasn't there, though I sat on the floor, stroking him and talking softly to him.

This just breaks my heart, guys. I am taking the whole day off today just to be with my boys.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tail Wagging and Seizures

Hi Anne..I can sympathize with you, I had an Irish Setter, who had Grand Mal seizures, it was not pretty. Once she was on her meds..they seemed under control. I'm sorry but this was years ago..and I can't remember what the vet had her on. But I sure understand how you feel. Hugs for you and Riley!!!
    Jackie

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I know how difficult this is to go through. One of my good friends had a dog with seizures and it was terrible to watch.

Have you looked into a diet change? I know some people believe that a home cooked or raw diet is beneficial to seizure dogs - something to do with fresh foods not having preservatives that the dog can react to, or something like that. I don't know much about it but have seen references to it. It might be worth checking into.

Poor baby. I think staying home with him today is the best medicine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. Hoping Riley is ok this morning

I should also add that he has made a complete recovery. Begged for his breakfast, as usual.

Have you looked into a diet change? I know some people believe that a home cooked or raw diet is beneficial to seizure dogs - something to do with fresh foods not having preservatives that the dog can react to, or something like that.
    You know, Susan, I have looked into it. The boys are currently eating Wysong http://www.wysong.net in the morning and Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance for dinner. Preservative-wise, I would think this should be okay.

But, you are right, I really do need to continue to look at other food options.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Scout and friends Guest

My first lab Corey had seizures, just as you described. I read that reducing any stimulation during the seizure might help, so when she had one I'd turn lights off, make the room quiet, sit with her until it was over. If nothing else, I felt I was helping her in some small way. Corey always tried to get to me when a seizure was coming on.

I felt so bad when she lost control of her bowels and bladder. She was such a proud girl. I'd clean things up fast hoping she wouldn't notice.

I hope Riley has a good day, you too. My heart goes out to you. Reading this takes me right back.

I think the loss of control is the worst part, Scout. After it was all over with, my husband was cleaning the carpet. Riley went in, sniffed the carpet, and then looked like "What the heck happened here? Who on Earth did this??"

I guess this tells me that he has no memory of the event....which is indeed, a very good thing.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

:'( Hugs to you and Riley!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Awww, Anne. I'm so sorry for you guys (and Riley). I can't imagine how terrifying that must be. You know - your comment about the tail wagging struck me. A good friends parents dog have seizures and they've found, after documenting them, most have happen just prior to being fed or being taken out on a walk or car ride. Almost like that little bit of excitement and adrenalin rush and suddenly a seizure. I wonder if there's any correlation to the two. They've actually begun to pour her food in to the bowl at night in order for it to be ready for breakfast, just so she doesn't get all worked up.

Hugs to you!!!!!!
    Brenda from Connecticut

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast