Apollo love soup bones...plus funny story.

Thread: Apollo love soup bones...plus funny story.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultApollo love soup bones...plus funny story.

Hey all you raw feeders out there. Do you buy your meat from the grocery store? Thats where I buy my ferret's meat. Well yesterday I was at the store picking up the usual for the ferrets:

2 packages of chicken wings
    2 packages of chicken legs
    2 packages of chicken gizzards/hearts
    a tub of organic chicken livers
    Beef chunks
    Organic/free range chicken eggs
    Turkey legs
    Babyfood and heavy whipping cream (Delilah is a skinny little thing and this helps to fatten her up)
    freezer bags
    Tripe

(then next door to petsmart to pick up some mealworms, crickets, nightcrawlers, and earthworms)

and I got Apollo some soup bones

the cashier asked why I was buying so much meat. He thought I was nuts when I said it was ALL for the ferrets (even the cream and the babyfood). He was like, "your ferrets are going to eat ALL of this? even the chicken legs?" lol I was like "yup, bones and all" lol I can't imagine what he would have thought If I was buying meat for the cats AND apollo lol!!! Ever get weird looks when you buy a buttload of meat in the store??? ever get interrogated lol? I hate cashiers that ask questions about what you are buying. im always horrified when I have to go buy "personal items." bet this cashier would have inquired about them lol!

But anyway...I took away apollo's knuckle bone. I read on another thread that the petstore ones are most likely smoked/cooked (even though the packaging didn't say anything about that) I'd rather be safe then sorry. He was pissed that I took away his knuckle bone, but her REALLY liked the soup bone. I took it away when we left for school/work this morning. It looked like it was just the right shape to get lodged in this throat. I like knuckle bones cuz they are bigger then his mouth. But alas, there were no knuckle bones at the store.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Apollo love soup bones...plus funny story.

bump...any other raw bones that are safe for dogs and can be found in the grocery store??

Yes they are usually listed as "marrow bones" or "soup bones" and they will be in the frozen meat section. Usually I will let Oona have a bone for about a half hour then I take it away from her and through it in a bag and put it back in the freezer. If I let her have it more than that she might have the runs. Also I wouldn't use cooked or smoked bones because they can splinter.
    BTW thanks for saving Apollo's life.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I gave apollo soup bones. Are there any other dog-safe bones in the grocery store???

KLM

Oh yeah, one day I bought six packs of gizzards and I KNOW she had to be wondering why in the world I was buying six packs of gizzards!!!!!!! They were marked down to 50 cents each so I couldn't pass up that deal!!!

:-)

By the way - I love, love, love your new siggy..... I love all your babies - those ferrets are SO CUTE!!!!

LOL, thank you. It took me forever to make a siggy that I liked. I used a free 15 day trial of Banner Maker Pro 6. I finally got it perfect lol. Now you all can see my kiddos.

LOL btw buying the six pack of gizzards is funny! I was at the store and I was like "holy crap! soup bones are $.60 and a 14 pack of chicken wings is $4? Oh you better believe we are stocking up lol! I new there was someone else outthere that had funny experiences shopping for a raw fed pet lo.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

any other raw bones that are safe for dogs and can be found in the grocery store??

2 packages of chicken wings
    2 packages of chicken legs
    2 packages of chicken gizzards/hearts
    a tub of organic chicken livers
    Beef chunks
    Organic/free range chicken eggs
    Turkey legs
    Babyfood and heavy whipping cream (Delilah is a skinny little thing and this helps to fatten her up)
    freezer bags
    Tripe
    Everything you have listed here -- minus the baby food and whipping cream of course -- can be fed to Apollo. Glad he likes his marrow bones...raw ones are way better!

I am wanting to get him started on raw very badly. I am broke at the moment but I am sure once I research a raw diet for DOGS, then I will be able to do it with confidence. I pay over $100 a month just to feed 4 of my ferrets (that list you see above doesn't include the 96 mice, 4 rats, and 60 bugs they go through each month kibble for my sick ferrets, Samson and Delilah costs $22 for a 5lb bag.)

Would it be ok to offer apollo a rack of beef ribs? And can I give him bits of raw steak and other things as treats?

Once I get caught up financially I can't wait to have the dog and cats switched to a natural diet. Are there any other BONES out there that I could give apollo? Would I have to go to a butcher specifically to find them?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Would it be ok to offer apollo a rack of beef ribs? And can I give him bits of raw steak and other things as treats?
    My dogs don't actually eat the beef rib bones...it is too hard. So I tend to favor pork ribs as they can eat the whole thing. They LOVES pork ribs, especially when I feed a whole rack. And yes you can give raw steak if you want.

Are there any other BONES out there that I could give apollo? Would I have to go to a butcher specifically to find them?
    Do you mean recreational bones like marrow/knuckle bones or edible bone?

If you mean recreational bones, I feed whatever my butcher gives me. Sometimes that is a huge cow leg, a back bone, etc. Just ask your butcher if he/she has anything going spare. Although they don't charge me for these bones I give them a small fee from gratitude.

Another great source for freebie bones are livestock farms. If you have any near you, call them up and ask if they have anything going spare. At Christmas I got boxes of turkey/chicken necks and organs free.

Yes, I was referring to recreational bones.

Thanks for your help trickster, you are always just so helpful and informative, I love getting advice from you.