Opinions please - behaviour problem indicative of an eye problem?

Thread: Opinions please - behaviour problem indicative of an eye problem?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpinions please - behaviour problem indicative of an eye problem?

I take Moose and Sky for a walk most mornings (sometimes they let me oversleep). We pretty much always encounter Bob and his 2 female labs, Libby and Dori. My dogs are very familiar with them so we always have a good greeting and sometimes walk aways with each other.

This morning I was doing a short walk due to time and so when we got to this little neighborhood park I just walked along the sidwalk and Bob and his dogs when up aways. THe park is built around a water tower that sits up and so there is a green area around it that is about 3-5 ft higher than the sidewalk depending on where you are. On our way back turning around we passed Bob and the dogs again, but they were up above us.

Moose went into his dominant stance and just stared. I kept my voice very light, but I knew he didn't know who they were. He started growling a little. I corrected him and we moved on, but he was obviously not aware they were friendly.

So my question is do you think he might have a seeing problem? Should I be concerned? I know if we had gotten closer he would have relaxed and been fine. Or was it because they now appeared really big to him and it scared him? I sometimes worry it might be his eyes.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Opinions please - behaviour problem indicative of an eye problem?

Strange..I'm not sure but I don't think I'd be very concerned at this point, might be something to keep in the back of your mind in case similiar related incidents occurs. Gunny will react differently at a distance almost like "hey..who/what is that"..I think he's more apprenhensive than dominant but his posture changes as soon as he recognizes whatever it is...is it possible there was a sun glare?

is it possible there was a sun glare?
    No, it ws overcast and about 6:20am

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Many dogs react to things that are out of the ordinary. The dogpark I use is beside a public skating rink, and I've seen many normally-social, friendly dogs react, charging and barking, to the 'floating heads' above the rink's panelling.

I'd just jolly him out of it.. "Silly doggy! it's your friends, Libby and Dori! Let's go say hi, huh?"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is Moose?

I think it could be nothing but there is the possibility that it could be a sign of visual problems to come.

KUDOS to YOU for being so observant and sensitive.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob. He was 3 at the beginning of Feb.

Mocha has a tendency to react like that to people she knows if they are somewhere she's not used to seeing them. Once they are close she's fine I think either she doesn't generalize very well that it's the same person or they startle her maybe by being somewhere new. I try to just correct her and move on normally too.