Why a lab?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a lab?

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy a lab?

What got you interested in labs?

For me, the rescue dog I adopted just happened to be a lab. But what sold me on Apollo was that they said that he was great with kids and small animals (i have a BIG "family" of ferrets and 3 cats) so having a dog that would not tear my animals to shreds was important to me. What about you guys??
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why a lab?

My best friend as a kid had one. I vowed to get one ever since. Greatest dogs ever.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I went hunting in college with a room mate who had labs. Their intensity while hunting and their playfulness when they weren't "working", blew me away. I've been hooked ever since.

ETA: My second introduction was the two labs that lived in house behind where I worked in the summer (college). They would come running to us with balls to throw. Labs are always game for some fun.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've always loved big dogs. Graduation day from college my bf at the time was on his way to the ceremony and almost ran over this little brown dog He stopped and picked it up because he knew it would get hit and could not bare seeing it on the side of the road on the way home. He stopped at numerous houses to see if anyone knew where he came from no one did and it was a rural area so he brought him with him. He stayed in the car during the ceremony and he kept him. (he left his number with the neighbors incase anyone knew who it belonged to) Poor thing had over 50 ticks on him and covered in fleas and had worms. He had him vetted and the vet thought he was 5 1/2 or 6 weeks old we named him Hershey. He was most likley full lab (BYB) but he may have been mixed but I loved him so much. When we split (the bf and I) he had the house and more stable schedule so Hershey stayed with him. It broke my heart but it totaly made me want another lab. So when I was ready I knew I would have another then came Mocha.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I really admired them from afar for the longest time...then got sucked in by a cute puppy.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We wanted a fun, trainable, family dog that didn't have a high prey-drive. We initially wanted a weimeraner, but heard that they could easily chase and kill a cat, and we had one at the time....I didn't want a puppy wreaking havoc. We are so pleased with labs, that we have 3 now, got into showing and plan on breeding.

labby is offline Senior Member

I read a book called "The Dog in my Life" by Kurt Unkelbach. It was the story about his daughter Cary and her dog Ch. Thumper of Walden. I was hooked on Labs and wanted one (I was like 9 at the time). I told my mom then I would have a Lab.

Funny, I recently touched base with Cary and told her how her father's book got me started with Labs. She was thrilled since both her parents are gone. Nice lady.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

That is a loaded question for me LOL

I grew up with working dogs. By that I mean farm dogs, farm collies, hounds of all sorts and gun dogs of all sorts. These were always working dogs. Not pets by any means. When I was 8 or 9 we had two Beagles and a Lab mix. I spent almost all my time with these dogs. They were outside dogs and so that was where I was. Even if it meant playing in the kennel and laying in the straw with them.
    It was my passion these dogs. I love to teach them tricks and set up obstacles they had to maneuver and jump (this was most likely pre-agility days and I was out of touch with the dog world anyway - I had no idea there were conformation shows for dogs).
    At 16 my gift was a Rottweiler. She was my first ever obedience dog. I was getting hooked.
    Then I had 3 Dobermans. After a terrible incident with aggression I needed a change. Where aggression was not going to be an issue.
    I decided to let the criteria and research pick my breed. Lifestyle changed, my desires for a particular type of dog changed.
    I kept coming up Labs and Goldens. To be honest I fought it. I thought Labs were just too typical.
    Labs just won out because I was drawn to a black dog and I did not want GR hair everywhere. I will never regret it. The best breed ever!!
    Kim

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

When we decided we were ready for a dog, the DH wanted a "hunting dog". So, he said it had to be a retriever, either a Golden or a Lab since that is what he had when he was growing up. Well, since we didn't know any better and were just looking for a family pet, we searched my work classifieds which just happened to be loittered with home-seeking Labs. I gave one person a call, and I'm glad I did as that particular pup was most likely on his way to the shelter because they were in desperate need to get him out of their twinhome. So, we drove a round trip of about 100 miles and picked up Shadow (then called Tank- which really didn't "fit" him). I never thought I would love a "big" dog (I always wanted a Pembroake Welsh Corgi, lol!), but I really fell hard-core for Shadow. He won me over and I haven't looked back since. Today, you couldn't bribe me to buy a "small" dog!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

For me it was the rescue thing too for all three. Rylee was my first and she is part retriever of some kind, and then Owen came into the clinic as a stray and I just fell in love with him! Plus we live on the water and you've got to have a water dog of some sort to enjoy it. Then came Hazel--she came into the clinic as a stray fully pregnant about to burst. So I took her and her 9 pups home to foster and I just couldn't part with Hazel. She's such an awesome dog. So I guess Labs have just stolen my heart! But I will always rescue and never buy. There's WAY too many homeless labs out there that need great homes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast