puppy training ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy training ?

Defaultpuppy training ?

ok so i'm finally going to take lola to a training. but i don't know where to put her. she knows the basic commands but there not 100%. should i join the inter, or begginer? also do any of you know if petsmart has good training? i like there store everyone is real nice but i've never tried there training.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: puppy training ?

Start with beginner. She may know the majority of the commands you'll learn in class now, but it'll be a whole different ball game with distractions. You'll also get more out of a beginner class as they often let the dogs socilize with eachother. Enjoy!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Find out when the Petsmart classes are and go and watch one. See how the trainer is and that will give you a good feel whether it is what you want or not. You can also see if you can find a club near where you live and see if they offer any classes. If you go to http://www.scdoc.org/member_clubs.htm you can find out what is near you and what classes are offered. I'm driving 15 miles each way for my classes because they are the best I have found, but for a beginner class you should not have to do that.

How old is your puppy?
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my pup is 7 months thats why i'm not sure if petsmart has like a limit or something. but i'm going today to find out if there is a age limit

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Also check you city parks & rec. That is who I used for the first training classes I took mine to when they were puppies and it was excellent.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Be aware that Petsmart/Petco often have VERY large classes in VERY small rooms. Unless I had no other choice but a chainstore, I'd want something with more ability to spread out and a better teacher:student ratio.

I took daisy to mans best friend and it worked out great for her. I dont like petsmart training because they use treats to make the dogs do commands. Try not to use treats when learning commands. everytime we go in there they tell them sit and put the treat in there hand so they sit, dogs should learn it without a treat!

with dixie, I just used all the techniques that I learned with daisys training.

i check the parks around me but they don't do training. i understand about petsmart having a lot of dogs but i've seen pictures and i only see like 7-10 dogs. i signed up once for the petco training it was at 9am and no dogs showed up just us and we couldn't train because part of the class was socializing. but i saw another link for finding trainers in the area i forgot what it was called. i think it might have been the akc site.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Contact your local Lab club. They should be able to recommend trainers.

What city/state do you live in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast