So what is the final word on dog food now?

Thread: So what is the final word on dog food now?

DefaultSo what is the final word on dog food now?

We will be getting our puppy in 3 weeks. After all the food scares now, I want to make sure I make the right choices in her puppy food. I'll be getting some kind of large breed puppy food, I know there are debates on this vs adult food, but I am pretty sure I am more comfortable with some form of puppy food (I will not be doing raw at this time). We feed our cat Wellness. However, they do not have a "large breed" puppy food. I do not want her to grow too fast and stress her joints. I'm not really sure what other good options are out there. I know some people use Diamond, but I don't think our local store carries it. Granted, I live in NYC and should have anything under the sun available if I look hard enough, but I happen to really like the people at our local store. I do have a Costco membership though...do they sell a puppy food? I know Diamond makes theirs.

I realize food is a very personal choice, but I'd love some suggestions. We feed our human family members as natural and organic as possible, and would like to do our best for the dog too (aside from going raw, which I am sure is the absolute best, just not an option for me at this time). Price is definitely still a factor, but I am willing to spend a little more for quality. We used to feed Nutro Naturals to our fosters, but luckily did not have any at the time of the recall!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So what is the final word on dog food now?

What is the breeder feeding and recommending? I would in most circumstances stick with that.
    Kim

She is from rescue.

And given the recall, the time they waited, where their food seems to actually come from....ANY Menu Foods product is out of the running forever.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, you're right, it is a very personal choice. I'll tell you what we feed, FWIW. If you're into all-natural and organic (we are too) and interested in that for the dogs as well, Canidae and Fromms are both made with human-grade, all natural ingredients. Neither are made in huge runs, and I believe each company has its own manufacturing facility.

Canidae has an "All Life Stages" formula which is what we feed Angus. This supposedly works well for puppies too. You just adjust amounts.

We have just started Simon on Fromms (Salmon & Veg) and are seeing really good results with it! I haven't looked to see if they have a puppy formula...I'm sure they do.

Linkys:

http://www.canidae.com

http://www.frommfamily.com

Here is a quote from the Fromms Web site:

All of our dry pet foods are manufactured at our own USDA-certified plant in Wisconsin where we utilize ingredients like fresh sweet potatoes, apples, cranberries, cheddar cheese, and other fresh produce from local markets in the area. The fresh hand-trimmed meat and fish we use is ordered as needed depending on what recipe is being made that particular day. We accept nothing less than the choicest cuts of meat and fish and each delivery is thoroughly inspected to make certain it meets our stern quality standards.
    The bold emphasis is mine. Of course there are no guarantees in this life, but this makes me feel a little better.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

While Costco's Kirkland has a formula for puppies, I haven't seen one for Large Breed puppies. (I'd also choose a LBP formula.)

Diamond does have one and, if they have one in "Diamond Naturals" that's better than their plain "Diamond" now.

Here's their dealer locator for NY -- they list dealers in The Bronx (3) and Brooklyn (12):

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/NY/

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Eagle is another http://www.eaglepack.com/
    Kim

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I agree with Cinderbaylabs (who, BTW, has an adorable siggy pic!) - Eagle Pack is a great food. They have two lines of food Eagle Pack Super Premium, and Eagle Pack Holistic Select. I feed the Holistic Select Chicken and Rice and my dogs are doing better on this food than on any other I have ever tried (and I've tried a lot). Eagle also has a great large and giant breed puppy food in each of their lines.

Thanks everyone! You helped me find a good starting point, there are just so many out there if you start searching! :P I think Diamond might be a good match, the ingredients look good and the price isn't too bad, and they have a one in their naturals line...I like Eagle too but getting it delivered is $$...it depends how much more it costs in a local store (shops around here tend to have big price increases lol). Fromms looks fantastic but way too pricey for us right now, sadly!

I mix Innova and Solid Gold... Both seem like good brands...

I fed Nutro LBP when Gabs was a little pup- but now feed Diamond and love it.