Poor Elias- Update on Kennell cough

Thread: Poor Elias- Update on Kennell cough

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoor Elias- Update on Kennell cough

Elias started showing symptoms for Kennel cough Sunday night/Monday morning. I took him to the vet at 4pm Monday and the vet gave me 2 types of medications and told me he'd be so much better in 48 hrs.
    For the first 24 hours he only coughed when he was excited, for instance he only had 3 coughing fits on Monday. One when I came home from work to take him to the vet, one when we were done on the exam table at the vet and another when my husband came home from work.
    Well last night he, and me and my husband, did not sleep well because he was up every 1/2 hr-hour coughing. He also rang his bells every 2-3 hours to go out! He rarely ever rings his bells to go out in the middle of the night.
    I also noticed that he's been drinking A LOT. Well this morning I researched Temaril (the one medication) online and found out it's main side effect is lots of drinking and urination!
    I'm hoping by tonight, at the 48 hour mark, he'll be much better. I feel so sorry for him!
    Anyone have experience with this that can remember about how long it took for the coughing to stop?
    I'm so tired today, this is what it must feel like to have a baby.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Poor Elias- Update on Kennell cough

I know others on here have said you can give Robitussen for the coughing maybe search and see if you can find the dosage or hopefully someone will tell you. I think everyone told me to keep Mocha away from other dogs for 2 weeks to let it run it's course. Her's wasn't bad at all though and only lasted 5-6 days and was only in the morning. I hope he feels better.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

hate to tell you this, but when my two (first tris then he gave it to kaylie) had kennel cough, it lasted about 10 days for each dog.. 2 weeks all told. Cough syrup helped (I used a chinese herbal syrup), as did running a humidifier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

No experience with this but just wanted to say that I hope Elias feels better! :-*

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Elias! I hope he feels better soon.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Hope he feels better soon. It tookMambo about two weeks before he was fully over it. Vet had me give robitussen DM. for the cough.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

There is NO WAY Elias would ever let me give him robitussin, any suggestions on how to do it?

Hoo Boy! Temeril is an antihistamine with a steroid in it to help with the inflammation. My Dexter has chronic allergic bronchitis and was on temeril for almost 6-weeks this last time. I'm familiar with the drinking/peeing/up-all-night adventure. All I can tell you is I've gone through a gallon of white vinegar and I have the cleanest floors this side of the Mississippi!

Sorry Elias isn't feeling well, but hopefully it will pass quickly. You can get one of those plastic medicine syringes and squirt the robitussin in the back of his throat. Just make sure you're outside because when he shakes his head, it will go everywhere. I did it inside.... Or the vet can give you pills, but they are way more expensive.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I just want to send some smooches for my boy :-*

We give our dogs liquid meds (we had to give abby pepto) with a baby medecine dropper...pop it in their mouth, gently hold shut and squirt the meds in worked for molly too so i'm sure anyone could do it haha
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)