HELP! Out of the blue Apollo is TERRIFIED of Sam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Out of the blue Apollo is TERRIFIED of Sam

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultHELP! Out of the blue Apollo is TERRIFIED of Sam

Apollo was beaten as a very young puppy by his former owner, a man. As a result he is squeemish around males. Apollo hasn't been that scared of Sam, but out of the blue he is acting TERRIFIED of Sam. I don't get it. Sam is ALWAYS calm and gentle with Apollo. What can we do to get Apollo to calm down? I don't get why this happened all of a sudden.

Today Sam tried to walk apollo and it took sam and hour to finally get ahold of him (apollo kept running away from sam all over the apartment peeing on himself and rolling in the urine). Sam is ALWAYS the 'treat giver' and the 'praise giver'. We try to get apollo to associate males with positive things. Sam also feeds apollo.

Today, Sam tried to give Apollo a soup bone and Apollo wouldn't take it. Why is this happening? I feel bad that apollo doesn't feel safe around sam. I also feel bad for sam. Apollo was supposed to be sam's dog. But now he's my dog because he's horrified of sam.

What can we do to make apollo feel more comfortable? help!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP! Out of the blue Apollo is TERRIFIED of Sam

I can't be of much help, sorry. But a situation such as this will take time. Don't expect miracles over night. One step at a time and hang in there. Perphaps a 1 on1 professional trainer/behavioralist can help with some unique techniques you are not currently doing? It sounds like a really tough situation. I hope Apollo will learn to trust Sam in time. Also, don't forget to to tell Sam not to get too discouraged; it'll work out in the end. Apollo sounds like a fun dog!

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks. We've taught Apollo how not to chew up the house and we've housebroken him. Im sure we will be able to fix this problem as well. It will just take time, like you said.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

im not really an expert, but now i have my Baby Alfa, i always want to embrace her or just be near her as long as my time permits so that i can make her feel that i'm always there by her side. what im thinking right now is that maybe if sam would/could give apollo like a "personal" touch or an embrace once in a while, i think apollo will definitely feel that affection once more given by sam. from your story, it seems that apollo is undergoing a traumatic phase caused by his past. an embrace would never hurt, right?

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I saw a vid clip of Sam brushing/combing Apollo and he seemed very relaxed.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I can't give you any advice in addition to what you are already doing, but what I will say is give him time. Apollo won't ever "get over" the past but he WILL get better with time. You, Sam, your house, your other pets, it is all still very new to him. He'll get there in the end.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Sam probably did something....obviously unintentional....that scared Apollo. Maybe dropped something and made a loud noise? Maybe a sudden movement? He probably didn't even realize that it scared Apollo....it was so unintentional that he didn't even notice. I'm sure Apollo will come around again in time. Apollo sounds like he a great dog and worth the extra effort to get over this.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Duke is my first experience with a non-puppy rescue. I don't know about what happened to him in the past, but I do know that old phobias haunt him and can pop up anytime unexpectedly. When they to, I do not baby him or pay attention to him when he is scared.
    When Apollo is afraid of Sam, Sam should not force the issue (walk). Just ignore Apollo and be calm about it. You leash him and walk him, and see how it goes if Sam walks along with you, but do not baby Apollo when he is scared.

Quote Originally Posted by alfa_17
    im not really an expert, but now i have my Baby Alfa, i always want to embrace her or just be near her as long as my time permits so that i can make her feel that i'm always there by her side. what im thinking right now is that maybe if sam would/could give apollo like a "personal" touch or an embrace once in a while, i think apollo will definitely feel that affection once more given by sam. from your story, it seems that apollo is undergoing a traumatic phase caused by his past. an embrace would never hurt, right?
    actually while the intentions are good here, this wouldn't be the best thing in this situation. I believe its from the "Other end of the Leash" book, but embracing(hugs) are a human form of affection, but putting arms around a dog are in fact a sign of dominance. The author points out that most dogs come to accept this since it comes with affection from their human owners, but it's not something that's natural for them, so probably not the best to do with a unbalanced dog at this point.

I'd actually think probably avoiding prolonged eye contact for Sam with Apollo is good as well. (sign of aggression/dominance) and spend alot of time the 3 of you together in a room, but without forced interaction between sam and apollo.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree -- no hugging or affection when the dog is in a fearful state of mind. When he is relaxed, fine, but never ever console a dog in distress. By doing that you are telling him that there is something to be afraid of. As hard as it may be, you must ignore the behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast