Just Labradors banner

first heat just around the corner. NEED HELP AND ADVICE!!!!

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JacksAndLabs 
#1 ·
Okay, we've decided to let Sally have a heat because of her inverted vulva. She's going to be 6 months old next week. I'm starting to panic. This is all new for me. Here are my concerns. Please either tell me to calm down and not worry....or tell me what I need to do:

1. What in the world do we do about the mess? Aren't there doggie panties that they can wear during this time. And if so, don't they chew them off, making a god-awful mess!

2. Are there any changes in their personality and demeanor during or before this time?

3. How long does it last?

4. This is the biggie. We have two Basset Hounds and the male has not been neutered. ::) I'm not worried about him getting Sally pregnant, because she will be inside totally. (As a matter of fact, we've already stopped letting her go outside with the Bassetts just in case she comes into heat early and we don't know it.) What I'm worried about is HIS behavior. The hounds stay up on the back deck. Isn't he going to be a major pain in the a$$ during this time? Won't he be barking and howling all the time? And is there any chance he might get mean or aggressive? (He's a total marshmellow.)

Okay, let me have it. Help with these concerns and any other tips you have for me. Help me, or send money for my therapist fund! ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
OK OK OK I'm here to rescue you. We too have an inverted vulva. And are not fixed yet. And neither is the cute labby boy down stairs lol.
snowflake said:
1. What in the world do we do about the mess? Aren't there doggie panties that they can wear during this time. And if so, don't they chew them off, making a god-awful mess!
ANSWER: Kaycie was 10 months old when she went into heat. I freaked out every day until it happened. And then I was like.....huh...not so bad afterall. I never even knew that she was in heat until I was rubbing her belly one day and saw a teeeeenie little red dot. And I immediately knew....of course I freaked out and called my vet because I'm a nerd and when anything happens i think she's dying..or rather that I am. lol.

I tried little boys underwear with the opening in the front as a tail hole. It drove her nuts. She couldn't keep herself clean. And lets face, it Kaycie is a total neat freak. Literally the most mess I ever saw was a spot here or there smaller than an eraser. And it was not anything like I expected.

snowflake said:
2. Are there any changes in their personality and demeanor during or before this time?
ANSWER: Kaycie didn't change at all before. Actually I dont think she changed at all. She started this wierd lie-on-my-back-and-whine thing, but she hasn't stopped since. lol...so i dont contribute that to being in heat. All in all...she's still the same dog. Except she has boobs. (sad i know)

snowflake said:
3. How long does it last?
ANSWER:I would say a good 2 weeks. At least with the swelling. You'll defenitely know when Sally's in mid cycle because Kaycie's rear end was huge lol.

snowflake said:
4. This is the biggie. We have two Basset Hounds and the male has not been neutered. ::) I'm not worried about him getting Sally pregnant, because she will be inside totally. (As a matter of fact, we've already stopped letting her go outside with the Bassetts just in case she comes into heat early and we don't know it.) What I'm worried about is HIS behavior. The hounds stay up on the back deck. Isn't he going to be a major pain in the a$$ during this time? Won't he be barking and howling all the time? And is there any chance he might get mean or aggressive? (He's a total marshmellow.)

I dont think that he would get aggressive or mean. He will want to get to her though, probably for a while. We still dont go to the dog park because every dog and his brother wants to sniff her butt....and she hates it.

So what made you wait until after the heat to have the surgery?

Has your vet recommended the reconstructive surgery as well when you get her fixed?

Kaycie's inverted vulva is quite severe. However, we have not had any infections in a LONG LONG time, probably 5 or so months. And I do think that allowing her to mature has helped. In my opinion, I wouldn't use any kind of "garment or gadget" while she is in heat. More often than not, she will be more agitated because she can't, and more concentrated on getting it off, making more of a mess. You would be suprised how well they can hide it. Like i said, I didn't even know.

STOP STRESSING....IT'S NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK IT IS! And please feel free, if you have any concerns or problems, or even questions to ask me. Because I'm sure I've wanted to know the same thing as well.

GOOD LUCK!
Amber and Kaycie

#3 ·
Sammi also had an inverted vulva, went through her 1st and only heat cycle at 6 months. No personality changes, I just got one of the velcro diapers at pet smart, cheap generic brand pads, and it really wasnt that big of a deal. That being said, glad we dont have to do it again. We had Sammi spayed mid cycle after the first heat. She is now 14 months old and so far the inverted vulva seems to have corrected its self and no more uti's or vaginitis. I just keep my fingers crossed. Hope all goes as well for you!

#4 ·
I would definitely get two pairs of panties from your local petstore. Some, like my Piper, don't bleed too much and only leave a spot when they sit. Others, like my Puzzle, bleed like a faucet for 3+ wks. Neither of my girls mind the panties being on at all, although they're only in them while I'm at home to supervise. When I leave the house, or at night, they are in their crate naked. I have immitation sheepskin pads in their crates because it wicks the moisture away from them. Your basset boy my have a hard time with her being in season...is there a reason he's still intact? You'll want to keep your girl away from him (and any other boys) for 4 full wks. Good luck ;)

#5 ·
Forgot to add that this is the one and only time that Sammi tried to escape, and when she was in the back yard i could hear every dog in the neighbor hood barking, so keep your pup under lock and key ;D ;D. Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine. The whole process for Sammi took about 5-6 wks. :-\

#6 ·
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm a natural worrier. My husband says that I'm not happy unless I have something to worry about. I just wish she would go ahead and get it over with. I'll get some of those panties/diaper/whatever thingies from the pet store and ramp up on my nerve pills! ;)

To answer some of your questions:

My Lil Lab Kaycie: The reason I'm waiting until after the first heat to have her fixed is that is what everyone told me to do. When I first posted here about her inverted vulva, everyone said to let her have her first heat and that would push it out. I called her breeder and she said the same thing. And no, the vet didn't recommend reconstructive surgery. He did mention that there was some surgery that we could do, but he wasn't big on it....said it doesn't always help....and that would be the last resort.

JacksAndLabs: the male Basset is still intact because my husband didn't see any need to get him neutered. Huge source of disagreement here! :mad: He certainly agreed with getting the girls fixed because he didn't want them going through heats and taking a chance of them getting pregnant. But he didn't see the same need for the boy. I know, I know....doesn't make sense.

#7 ·
Get some 100% chlorophyll tablets or drops from your pharmacist - it is sold "over the counter" and usually used by folks who have had a colostomy - and as soon as you see definite swelling and/or spotting start giving Sally the adult human dose. The same every day for at least three weeks.

This will mask the heat scent so that the neighborhood dogs won't have a clue that she is in heat. But that's all the chlorophyll will do is eliminate/mask the scent. Might even fool the basset if he does not get his nose right up her butt. But still be paranoid ;) and never let her outside without you being there too. Long ago I came home and found my Irish Setter ***** lying down for my Italian Greyhound dog :eek: really!

That 100% chlorophyll, no additives or anything in it, just chlorophyll.

#8 ·
talleyJudy said:
Get some 100% chlorophyll tablets or drops from your pharmacist - it is sold "over the counter" and usually used by folks who have had a colostomy - and as soon as you see definite swelling and/or spotting start giving Sally the adult human dose. The same every day for at least three weeks.

This will mask the heat scent so that the neighborhood dogs won't have a clue that she is in heat. But that's all the chlorophyll will do is eliminate/mask the scent. Might even fool the basset if he does not get his nose right up her butt. But still be paranoid ;) and never let her outside without you being there too. Long ago I came home and found my Irish Setter ***** lying down for my Italian Greyhound dog :eek: really!

That 100% chlorophyll, no additives or anything in it, just chlorophyll.
Hmmmm...hadn't heard of that. Thanks. I'll check it out. And don't worry about the Basset getting to her. That absolutely WON'T happen. He is a 100% outside dog.....back porch, back fenced in yard. Sally stays indoors. We walk her in the front yard. So the only time they are ever together is when we let her out into the back yard to play with the Bassets. And like I said before, we've already stopped that, just to be on the 110% safe side! ;)

#9 ·
My best friend and I were house-sitting for a family when their jack russell (which we were also looking after) went in heat. We had NO idea what to do, and of course with Daisy not being our dog it was incredibily stressful. She turned into a major escape artist so we couldn't keep her outside, and we were also worried about male dogs getting in. We pretty much kept her inside the house and closed off the carpeted areas (so she had the kitchen, laundry and bathroom open to her) and we periodically wiped up the little blood spots. If us two clueless college students managed ok, you'll be fine. ;)

#10 ·
Most others have covered everything.
Mocha went through her first heat before I had her fixed too it was pretty uneventful. You'll notice some swelling around the vulva before the bleeding starts. Then it normally takes 3 weeks for the cycle but some last longer. I beleive the second and third weeks are the ones to really worry about when they can get pregnant. Your basset will probably get kind of crazy mainly just trying to get to her I doubt mean in any way. She'll also try to get to him so watch her like a hawk. Only thing that changed with Mocha was she started marking when we took a walk and still does to this day. She also has boobs now. She was pretty clean about it I didn't have any diapers for her I just took a paper towel and wiped her several times a day and cleaned up any spots I did see.
Good luck.

#12 ·
Just remember, it *might* not be right around the corner. Both of my girls had their first heat cycles at 12-13 months old. And I had a rescue that didn't have her first until 3 years(I think that one was extreme though.)

#13 ·
snowflake said:
To answer some of your questions:

My Lil Lab Kaycie: The reason I'm waiting until after the first heat to have her fixed is that is what everyone told me to do. When I first posted here about her inverted vulva, everyone said to let her have her first heat and that would push it out. I called her breeder and she said the same thing. And no, the vet didn't recommend reconstructive surgery. He did mention that there was some surgery that we could do, but he wasn't big on it....said it doesn't always help....and that would be the last resort.
That's the same reason I decided to wait as well! Thank god for this forum, and the great people that frequent it lol. I'm extremely glad that we waited until after her first heat. I think it has helped us out in the long run.

You sure do sound like a great Mom. Give Sally Kisses for me. :-* And stop stressing lol. That's the one thing I did too much.

#14 ·
cinderbaylabs said:
Be sure you keep them separated completely because things can happen through xpens, fences and crates.
It will have to happen through a wall or window, because he is 100% outside and she is 100% inside. Now, if that happens, I'll be sure to post about it. I'll also post pics. Hell, I'll sell the pics and make a fortune! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.