trying to heal nail? (a bit long)

Thread: trying to heal nail? (a bit long)

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

Defaulttrying to heal nail? (a bit long)

So last week we had to take Finn in to have his nail removed (it had separated from the quick and kept lifting more so the vet pulled it and loasered the quick). Well he went outside, escaped and when we got back (from the neighbours) he was missing his baggie and bandage. Hubbie ran it under water then proceeded to take him to the dog park without wrapping it (I was in emerg at the time so didn't know this 'til later). When I got home at 10:30 I rewrapped it for the night. We took him into the vet the next day and she said it was a mess rewrapped it and then gave me the stuff to rewrapp every second day. The key was we had to let it dry out for an hour or so before rewrapping. I have been doing this.

Today I took the wrap off for our routine dry out and the quick starts to bleed again within minutes, the part between the toes is looking pretty yucky. He is leaving it (we bought bones to keep him occupied during the dry out) but it has a slight odour to it - not too bad but if I wrap it again I'm just not sure what will happen. To add to this the other day it must have been bothering him while we were out and he started to chew at the top of the wrap and has started a hot spot

It has stopped bleeding now but I was wondering should I do a light wrap and tape a sock on it for the night so that it can dry out a bit more and then check it again in the morning or should I wrap it up again with the vet wrap? Most likely hubby will take him in to the vet tomorrow anyways just to have it looked at again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: trying to heal nail? (a bit long)

If it's stinky, I'd take him back into the vet, he may need an antibiotic cream. Since it did get dirty, it may have gotten infected. (do you work at the emerg, or are you yourself ok??)

Oh but for tonite, I'd do a light wrap and tape a sock on it to see if drying it out more might help overnight.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: trying to heal nail? (a bit long)

I was in emerg but I am fine thanks for asking ;D

He was on antibiotics and just finished them today so bI am hoping it is just that "rotting" smell from a wet dog toe. I think I will just do the light wrap and sock - my chocolate lab is becoming golden with how much he has cost me in vet bills since we had him! If sunshine my older one had been this way we would not have Finn - we couldn't afford him!