Just Labradors banner

Another Question about exercise

545 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  myfavoritedog 
#1 ·
The weather has started to warm up here...gets into the low 80s now so it is not too hot but I know Tal is not used to it probably.

When I exercise him, I usually play fetch with him for no more than 15 minutes at a stretch when I get home. He sure does pant hard for a couple of minutes then it gets less and less. In the am before I leave we have about a 30 minute retrieve and play time. It is before sunup and the coolest part od the day so I go a little longer with him.

I am trying to err on the side of caution but I also want to provide him with plenty of exercise. I also take him to the park and swim for retrieving. And resumed that yesterday.

I guess my question is I can tell when he starts to tire and that is when I stop and let him rest. Is that a good way to determine that? Or is there something else I should look for. All his other exercise has been in cool to cold temperatures.

#3 ·
Trickster said:
I think what you are doing is fine. They slow down a lot in the heat. Just keep an eye on his body language. If he is laying down and panting hard, stop immediately.
Thanks. I have never exercised him to ther point where he was both panting hard and lying down. He's reached the point where he has been panting hard but would still go fetch. That is when i stop the play and go inside.

Especially having a black coat I know I will need to be more diligent because the dark colors retain heat more than the lighter colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.