Had a runner in my obedience class - and right towards lots of traffic

Thread: Had a runner in my obedience class - and right towards lots of traffic

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultHad a runner in my obedience class - and right towards lots of traffic

Talk about having your heart drop into your stomach. We had just finished the long down when all of a sudden this aussie just bolted. He was running so fast and straight for traffic. Luckily someone from the club was on the street and saw it and was able to stop traffic because he did just bolt right across and then kept running towards more traffic. The owner and this woman jumped in there car and managed to get in front of him and as soon as he saw the owner he went right to her.

Everyone in the class was just in shock. The instructor was just beside herself - she'd worked with this dog many times before and apparently he is afraid of skateboards. Turns out there are tennis courts behind where we work and someone had a skateboard in there.

I was so glad to see her come back with him. Between the traffic driving down and the dog taking off I was wiped. I was going to stay and work just heeling with Moose because I had been late to class, but after that I decided I was going home.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Had a runner in my obedience class - and right towards lots of traffic

oh my, that is something that will knock the wind right out of ya. My friend had a similar experience with her doberman, scared her so bad she cried. Glad the little Aussie is ok

DefaultRe: Had a runner in my obedience class - and right towards lots of traffic

Glad he's okay. That is really scary.....

Frances

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh my GOSH! Sharon, I would have just been in a puddle on the ground after that. That is one of my very worst fears.

I am so glad that he was OK due to some quick thinking on the part of those around. Sheesh.

I would have called it a night after that too.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

That sounds so frightening. You all must have felt so helpless.

That's one of my worst fears, too, and the reason why it will be a long time(and much more training) before Sundance can be trusted offleash.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Ugh...so scary. I'm glad everything turned out ok.

When fight or flight kicks in, the ears turn off so dogs rarely see/hear their owner calling for them even if they are right in front of them. They just want to get the heck out of Dodge.

We had this happen at a dog show last year. Some neighborhood dogs came into the show site (at a public park) and started trouble. They attacked several dogs then one victim took off running with the neighborhood dogs chasing and a group of people chasing them. My trainer and I grabbed the owner, jumped in my trainer's car and took off after the dogs. Another group of people were able to cut off and grab (they literally tackled them) the neighborhood dogs but the victim wasn't sticking around to find out what would happen. She was still running full speed. We finally caught up with her about 2 miles and several very busy roadways away.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

How scary. They may want to practice that exercise in the future on a long 50ft line instead.