Puppy almost got attacked!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy almost got attacked!

DefaultPuppy almost got attacked!

We took Ellie on her usual walk around the block this evening. I'm always weary of the house on the corner, where two little white mutts live. The owners let them run wild sometimes. One of the owners was watering his lawn with the front door slightly open. The dogs saw Ellie and came tearing out growling and barking. The owner tried spraying them with the hose, but they kept coming. I was able to pick her up just in time, thank goodness. She is just 13 weeks and hasn't been around other dogs yet. I think I read on this board to pick your puppy up in that type of situation (so they don't become dog aggressive after being bitten), so I'm thankful I knew to do that!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy almost got attacked!

why are you out walking her at 13 weeks? She shouldn't be out until she has completed all of her shots.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

deific Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    why are you out walking her at 13 weeks? She shouldn't be out until she has completed all of her shots.
    I don't think we have to attack her...
    Sorry about your pup, hope she didn't get scared too bad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jon

Good for you for thinking so quick. I'm glad the situation didn't escalate and you and your pup are safe.

I would caution as well to avoid situations where your pup can come across other dogs until all the shots are complete including rabies. Luckily pups don't take a lot to tire them out. Romps in the living room or backyard can accomplish it and create a more managable situation with regard to coming across strange dogs.

As soon as all shots are complete I would look into getting your pup some social interaction with other dogs straight away. Try and pick places where you can be reasonably assured bad situations are less likely to occur, such as puppy classes. Dog parks are nice but it's not uncommon to run across aggressive dogs and less than considerate owners.

Good luck with your pup and I'm glad things turned out all right with your scare.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Glad the puppy is ok. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by deific
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I don't think we have to attack her...
    Sorry about your pup, hope she didn't get scared too bad.
    I wasn't attacking her. I was asking a question. And it's a legit question.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

I understand that many people are against taking their pups out before all shots are finished. I have also read that it is important to get them socialized during this period, but, avoiding dog parks, parks and beaches is best, as that is where the danger for disease is highest. My vet said taking her around our block is fine. So, that is what I've chosen to do.

It certainly is your dog. Not a choice I'd make, but good luck with that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Depending on the size of the incoming dog, you could actually make things much worse by picking up your dog. Standing in front of your pup and making a loud noise is a better choice and if that doesn't work, I'd go with a swift kick in the charging dogs butt. I definitely discuss this issue with that owner though. Do you have leash laws in your area?

Thanks, that is good to know for next time (hopefully there won't be a next time!). She is getting to the point where I won't be able to pick her up soon anyway. I'm not sure the neighbors speak English. I think I am going to call animal control. They have been doing this since we moved here, just over a year ago. I've seen the wife let the dogs out and watch them as they poop on someone else's lawn, and she doesn't pick it up. They have no collars on either. I'm surprised they have not been hit by a car yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast