How to get a lab to swim?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get a lab to swim?

DefaultHow to get a lab to swim?

I know it may seem silly but Cherry (foster turned failure) won't swim. She's a year old and likes the water but when she gets chest deep she gets a little scared and backs off. Our three year old Haley does great..jumps right in and off she goes. Cherry's been in the pool while other dogs are in there and I thought that would help but she won't go past her chest. It isn't my pool but the dog park pool so people are not allowed in it but I have waded deep enough to try to encourage her. Here's a few things I've tried so please let me know if I am missing something:

1. Tried throwing favorite toys in the shallow end to encourage her to play...nothing is favorite enough to wade out in the water past her chest.

2. I tried getting in with her past her chest.."no, mom you can drown I'm not doing it" attitude from her.

3. Tried other dogs and tried only Haley in the pool to get her to swim.

I know some dogs just don't take to water but she really looks like she wants to she just does not have the confidence she can. What can I do to encourage her to just do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How to get a lab to swim?

Why do you consider her a foster turned failure? :-\

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I would take her to a lake or somewhere where you can go in with her and holding her, go into deeper water. Let her go as you still have arms under her to make her feel secure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

Why do you consider her a foster turned failure?
    I think she means she was a foster dog, but she was a "foster failure" so she kept her.

Our Bodie would not swim until he was over two years old. On Dog Whisperer, I saw Cesar Milan taking a dog in the pool on a collar and leash, so I put Bodie's collar and leash on and he went right in! It was amazing. We'd been trying to get him to go in the water for over a year (no leash) and he'd refused. I think Bodie felt safer because he was attached to me. Now he loves to swim.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Quote Originally Posted by bibber
    I think she means she was a foster dog, but she was a "foster failure" so she kept her.
    Oh duh! Thanks Brenda.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I wonder if she had a bad water experience w/her prior owner.

I don't have any good advice, but yeah, you could try leashing her like Brenda said.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Felix Guest

Shall we change Labrador's for a week ???

No, iam just kidding

Try to make him/her enthousiastic with playing, and go to water that's not that deep ...

Deep enough to get the belly wet, and then .. i hope for you .. that the swimming wil start

But what ever you do, dont force them to swim, that may end up with a Labrador who doesnt like swimming at all!

Quote Originally Posted by bibber

Our Bodie would not swim until he was over two years old. On Dog Whisperer, I saw Cesar Milan taking a dog in the pool on a collar and leash, so I put Bodie's collar and leash on and he went right in! It was amazing. We'd been trying to get him to go in the water for over a year (no leash) and he'd refused. I think Bodie felt safer because he was attached to me. Now he loves to swim.
    That's what I meant by calling her a foster failure. She was a foster and I failed to find her another home. ;D

I was just trying to keep it short and sweet. I'll try this method and see if I can make any progress..sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    I would take her to a lake or somewhere where you can go in with her and holding her, go into deeper water. Let her go as you still have arms under her to make her feel secure.
    I may try this at the beach but being from Florida I am myself leary of the lakes with the gators in them. A calm day at the beach when the waves aren't crashing all over the place could make for a nice swim.

Felix Guest

A dog is never a failure! :-[

You can teach him or her "things" until he or she die's

So a failure ... nah, neh .. i wont put it that way :P

Got it...thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast