Just Labradors banner

What do you feed your dog ????

4K views 69 replies 45 participants last post by  imported_jdgrunt 
#1 ·
After all the recalls last week and new recalls this week I do not trust our food anymore. I know that no dryfood has been recalled but I still feel like I would like to change Nik's food. She is on Nutro Large Breed and does very well. But I would like to switch to something more natural. I don't want to find out weeks from now that dry food is also being recalled. I am exaggerating ?

#8 ·
I feed Kirkland C&R (sold only at Costco warehouse clubs) and made by the company that makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover, Premium Edge and several other brands.

A year or two ago, they used truckload of corn in a mfrg plant in Georgia that had too high a level of aflatoxin; some dogs died as a result. (They were using industry standard sampling and testing procedures but they've since become even more stringent.)

Diamond Naturals, Kirkland, Chicken Soup, and Premium Edge do not contain corn so I didn't stop using the Kirkland. And I trust the company.

IMO, there's no place to hide.

Human spinach was recently contaminated and several people died who'd eaten it.

We could stop buying food and grow our own but that would take a LOT more work than I want to put into living. (I grew up on a farm in Vermont where we grew most of our food in our gardens and home canned our food for use through the winter until the garden started producing again.)

I'll take my risks with the fresh spinach and Kirkland but every person has to assess the levels of benefits and risks for themselves and find the place that's comfortable (or maybe least uncomfortable?).

We do this every time we drive some place in a car, and every time we swim or sail or ski or climb a ladder to take leaves out of the gutter.

#11 ·
labby said:
I'm staying with ProPlan. Its what my dogs do the best on and I trust the company.
Interesting. Purina's headquarters are here (Saint Louis) and they are not regarded well here at all. They throw a lot of money around at vets, shows, trainers, etc, and everyone tends to roll their eyes.

#13 ·
The food I feed is a UK based one so it is sort of irrelevant to USA peeps. Regardless, its called James Wellbeloved. I also feed raw. I aim for half kibble/half raw but some days are all kibble, some all raw, etc. I have gone through periods of several weeks where I have done all raw.

#15 ·
I agree with Bob Pr. There is no where to hide. I feed my guys Kirkland made by Diamond (no corn, wheat or soy). Just pay close attention to the ingredients and even closer attention to any change in your dogs. The dogs that passed with the "corn" scare were showing signs of not wanting to eat and many of their owners were forcing it. Human foods have been in the news recently, too. We can't live in a bubble...well, we can, but! ;)

#17 ·
Thanks guys. I agree there is no where to hide but it still makes me nervous and if there is anything I can do to minimize the "risk" of contaminated food then I will do it !!! So far Nik has been on Nutro since she was a pup (she is five now) and we have had no problems or issues with them, I just tend to overly worry sometimes !!!

#19 ·
Diamond Premium Adult & ProPlan Senior Chicken & Rice here.
No intensions of changing. Thought never crossed my mind even back when Diamond had a scare.
Bob Pr post pretty much says it all for me.

Yeah I stopped eating spinach when it was recalled. Only because it was no where to be found. Other than one local supplier that I felt safe with.
Check the FDA site for how much human foods get recalled. Yet we seem to put up more of a stink when it is our dogs???
Just recently there was a bottle water recall...why fer? Arsenic. Where was all the panic then? Then the peanut butter. Gee that scare lasted about 5 days then fell off the face of the earth. This pet food recall started in March 16th.

You can stay well informed here http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

#20 ·
Sally is on Nutro LB puppy. All of the problem has been with the wheat gluten, and there is no wheat gluten in Nutro dry foods. And no Nutro dry foods are made at Menu Foods. Here's a letter from Nutro's president on their website. It made me feel better.

Dear Nutro customers and pet owners,

I understand that your pets are treasured members of your families. I know that Joey, our dog, is a beloved member of my family. The importance of pets to all families is why Nutro has always been committed to ensuring their health and well being, and we remain committed to that important goal during this unfortunate incident.

We want to ensure you have all of the information you need about Nutro's products and how they are affected by Menu Foods' recall. Here's what you need to know:

1. If your dog and/or cat eats Nutro dry food, biscuits or treats, it is absolutely safe to continue feeding them any of these products. There are NO Nutro dry pet foods included in this recall, our dry pet foods contain NO wheat gluten and NONE of our dry pet foods are manufactured by menu foods.

2. If your pet eats any of the Nutro Wet or Foil Pouch-packaged products included on this list you should discontinue feeding these products. If your pet becomes sick, you should take them to the vet immediately. Note – not all Nutro Wet food products are affected. Just those on this list.

While this recall affects a small portion of our products (less than 10 percent) and only those manufactured by Menu Foods, as President and CEO of Nutro Products, I assure you that we take this issue as seriously as you do. Nutro is preparing to implement additional guidelines that will ensure that the quality control measures used by our co-manufacturers and their suppliers are strengthened so that this deeply troubling situation never happens again

For those of you who have lost a pet or have an ill dog or cat at this moment, we want to express our condolences. We know how difficult it is to lose a treasured loved one. As Nutro has always done, we will treat our customers fairly and with compassion. If you feel a Nutro product in any way contributed to your pet's illness or death, you should contact us at 1-800-833-5330.

As the President and CEO of Nutro Products, I make a personal promise to you that we will continue to work with the FDA, the AVA and all other organizations assisting in the Menu Foods recall investigation. We will do everything we can to get to the bottom of this and to take action to ensure that it never happens again. We will continue to share information as we have it, at www.nutroproducts.com, and we invite you to contact us directly if you have any concerns: 1-800-833-5330.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis
President & CEO, Nutro Products

#21 ·
labby said:
deific said:
]Not attacking you at all, but why do you trust the company? Or how do you know you can trust them?
Its called experience. :)
I am SO in agreement with this... of the three labs I've had in the last 17 years, two of them did best on Purina foods. Most recently, Stoops had all kinds of tummy trouble as puppy until I switched him to ProPlan LBP. Could be coincidence or just growing up, but he neve had trouble after the switch.

I've also had good results with Purina One and even Dog Chow.

Whatever makes the pups healthy and happy, makes me happy!

#22 ·
Pro Plan here too. I've tried many of the "high end, natural foods" (Innova, wellness, sensible choice, solid gold, natures variety, blue buffalo) and my kids do best on Pro Plan. Purina uses labradors for their feeding studies and they seem to have found something that works ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.