Thunder swallowed bully stick
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder swallowed bully stick

DefaultThunder swallowed bully stick

Thunder at 4 1/2 mo. just swallowed his braided bully stick! It was around 5" long at the time and I didn't think he would swallow an object this large. Should it digest OK? (supposedly, bully sticks are fully digestable)....

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thunder swallowed bully stick

Uh oh

I have never given bully sticks, but have found (the hard way) that products labeled "fully digestible" are often not all that digestible.

I would call the emergency vet if you have one. Sometimes, if it has only just been recently swallowed, they can get it out with a scope.

I hope I'm not scaring you, but I do think you should call.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

You can also try calling the emergency vet and asking if they feel it is necessary for you to bring Thunder in. They may be able to tell you over the phone what signs to look for that would be an indicator of trouble.

Piper does great with her bully sticks. So far, the only "problem" we have is that she's a powerful enough chewer that a 5" braided bully stick lasts maybe 15-20 minutes at most. They may be digestable but they certainly aren't cheap!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I spoke to the vet at his home... He said that it was not necessary yet for him to come in and to keep an eye on his appetite and stools for any changes... Thanks for the advice andI will keep everyone posted!

Here's what you are watching for with a blockage:

Lethargy
    Refusing to eat
    Absensce of bowel movement
    Projectile vomiting

If you see projectile vomiting, get to a vet asap. This is characteristic of a blockage and is a definite medical emergency. If the bowel becomes blocked the blood supply is cut off, and the bowel tissue begins to die very quickly.

Just keep a watchful eye. Hope all will be fine!

Connie and "The Boys":

Thanks for the replies!

I will be keeping a close eye on him and will keep you posted. I choose an individual family vet for Thunder rather than the "corpration chains" available locally which have 24hr services but have other disadvantages, or so it seems from my friends pet visits... I will see over time which is best for Thunder...

Thanks!

Sounds good

Out of curiousity, does your area not have an emergency vet, because the chains offer 24 hour services?

It's great to have access to both. We have had to make after-hours visits a few times now.

Connie and "The Boys":

DefaultRe: Thunder swallowed bully stick "Update"

Thunder seems to be fine! He is eating and pooing fine and seems perfectly normal. I believe the bully stick was fully digested as the morning poo was a slightly different color. He is food crazy as usual and had an energetic walk at the park. Thanks for all of the great info. Angus, I did find an emergency vet clinic in another town just in case another situation arises... My vet is great, but he is the only vet at his clinic...

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Glad Thunder seems okay, but I'd still keep a watchful eye out for at least 24 hours. Hope all remains well.

So glad everything is going well so far!

You do need to watch for 48 hours, though. It wouldn't block that quickly. Angus started showing symptoms in about 36 hours. (He had to have surgery to remove the offending item, which is why I'm a little paranoid about dogs swallowing things).

Thanks for the update Jeff! I always worry when I see these posts. Please let us know how it's going!

Oh, and also glad you found an e-vet. Hope you never need one, but it is sure better to find them ahead of time rather than be rushing around frantically when there is an emergency.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast