Are you prepared to laugh your a** off???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you prepared to laugh your a** off???

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultAre you prepared to laugh your a** off???

Having a dog is like having a child. You remember all their firsts......their first toy....their first treat....their first trick....their first....bath. Well today was a big "first" for us in the Stucco-Morrision household. Today was Apollo's first bath.

Sam and I live in a second story apartment. Normally one bathes a dog outside, but we had to bathe Apollo in our tub. Now the reason I was so desperate to give him a bath was because today we went hiking in the mountains, and while driving down a particularly dusty dirt road with the windows down, Apollo hopped out of the car looking like a "grey" labrador (instead of black) from all the dust lol! So a bath was desperately need.

Giving a lab a bath shouldn't be too hard right? They LOVE water...this should be a breeze! WRONG.....DEAD wrong.

So Sam and I take Apollo into the bathroom. Our tub has sliding glass doors, so Sam has to hoist Apollo up into the tub. I get into the tub first, wearing a bra and some shorts, I prepare for the madness to begin. Oh boy, he's just gunnna love this bath! He's a lab, right? Uh...apparently not.

FIRST apollo pees on the ground (good, I think, just like I wanted because now I know he WON"T pee in the tub). Sam hoists Apollo up and tries to put him in the tub. Yeah....Apollo's not havin it. He puts all four paws on the sides of the tub and will NOT get in!!! We finally get him in and he gets wet and yelps and hops out of the tub and shakes off (soaking sam). Sam tries to put apollo back in the tub. After about 3 tries he gets him in. We sam quickly closes the sliding doors on me and apollo.

So I'm in the tub lathering up apollo with shampoo. Once it comes time to rinse, I realize that pouring water over him with a cup just isn't cutting it. How am I gunna rinse him off? Oh! The shower head! I'll simply turn it on and stay out of the way of the spray and hose apollo off! great Idea! NOT. I turn on the shower head and Apollo FREAKS out. He jumps up and hangs from the top of the sliding door. I am freaking out thinking that the door is gunna break. I am SOAKING wet. Meanwhile I am plastered with dirty, wet dog hair (yuck!)

I finally get apollo rinsed off and Sam comes back in to help. We open the sliding doors of the tub and Apollo leaps out and shakes off and soaks sam (again). There is a LAKE on the bathroom floor. yeah. : Sam opens the bathroom door to go get another towel and apollo runs past him, soaking wet, into the rest of the house. He is shaking and soaking EVERYTHING: the bed, the clean laundry, three VERY unhappy cats (lol).

Finally we put him on the poarch to "air-dry" in the warm sun.

Yeah....so how was it when ya'll gave your pups THEIR first bath???
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Are you prepared to laugh your a** off???

Not that much fun. ROFLMAO
    Go buy yourselves a handheld shower head. I wouldn't be without mine. Still rolling over the dirt, wet dog hair.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Peanut actually does what you expected Apollo to do in your post. We use an inflatable kids pool and a hose to bathe all the dogs. We even have our friend Jill bring her dogs out and have a dog washing party. Anyway, Peanut can't wait to jump in for her bath. She is very easy to bathe as she loves being stroked and lathered. Seamus is the one who hates baths, but will actually do it with prodding. Morgan doesn't particularly like it, but tolerates all kinds of poking prodding and grooming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Not QUITE that bad but close enough.

What I think really frightened Puff was the hard porcelain surface of the tub -- her toenails were useless and I thought that scared her and she hated it. Then, following my hunch, I got the largest RubberMaid bath mat available to line the floor of the tub. That helped enormously. Another thing that helped was replacing the shower head on the wall with a Water-Pik hand held shower on a hose. That makes getting the shampoo completely flushed off much easier.

Also, a nylon mesh ball to collect dog hair so it won't go down the drain and clog pipes is many times cheaper than a plumber.

[You ARE using a dog shampoo, aren't you? Human shampoos, even those for babies, are many times more acidic than comfortable or healthful for dog's skin.]

Before putting the bath mat in place, it was like World War III getting her into the tub. After she experienced it in place, when I told Puff to hop in, she did so.

BTW, I've trained Puff to "Shake!" (water off -- not give a paw) which works maybe 90% of the time. (Very useful when she goes swimming at the lake.)

Before Puff hops out of the tub, I try to strip surplus water from her belly, sides, etc., with my hands. Then I ask to shake while still in the tub. She doesn't obey the command as well in the tub as when getting out of the lake but, hey, even a few times is better than none.

Then, of course, bath towels are at the ready -- to use after her first or second shakes. Puff LOVES being towel dried.

BTW, in Topeka we have a place where you can take dogs to wash them yourself -- I think about $5.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

well, i have a confession to make. my vet and my breeder both said that lab pups, or all the pups in general (i think), have to have their first bath not until on their 3rd month. i got my "baby" when she was 2 mos old, a bit smelly though. i tried to ignore that doggy smell at first but i guess brought about by my obssessive-compulsive behavior (sometimes), one afternoon, i couldnt resist giving her a quick bath. if i could remember it right, i had her for like 3 days only then. haha... since i have a small bathroom (come on, i only have a studio-type unit), i closed the covering of the toilet bowl, put on a basin, and put her inside it. she was like an angel!

so since my breeder informed me to at least give my pup a bath twice a week if i want to, i did it again 4 days after. hahaha... the second time, hhhmmmm.... i guess i could tell it was still ok... but just yesterday, when she had her 3rd bath, whoa! im telling you guys! right now, i have scratches all over my both arms, on my chest (i took my shirt off) and on my back (i tried to embrace her when i saw she was kinda hysterical over the idea of bathing). My live-in partner was helping me in giving her the bath.

yeah, they were supposed to like water, right? i guess next time, i'll look for a way on how we could make bathing fun for her! any tips?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

i guess next time, i'll look for a way on how we could make bathing fun for her! any tips?
    Did you consider my post on the footing surface of the bathing apparatus as not applicable? -- or on the type of shampoo used?

They're not.....
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Glad you all survived that traumatic experience.
    LOL Must have been quite a scene at your home today. What a hoot!

Zoe's first bath was in out wash basin when she had poop on her body. She was fine.

Second bath in our big bathtub (about 1-1/2 feet deep) was fine too. She was still a puppy.

Now she just gets rinsed with a garden hose after the beach. She did not particularly enjoy having her tail hosed down, but you know, I think she enjoys it now. Well, she has no option. It's either rinse or rinse. ;D
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Yup, Sam and I made a special trip today to petsmart to pick up some dog shampoo. LOL we have dog, cat, ferret, and human shampoo at my house. I know to never use human shampoo on an animal, but shhhhh! don't tell anyone. There have been some times when I was dirt broke that I had to wash my hair with cat or ferret shampoo lol. Luckily those days are slowly going away lol
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

This is what god created dog groomers for!! ;D We have a mobile dog groomer who comes to our house and bathes our dogs. She has a complete dog grooming suite in her customized van.....complete with hydraulic grooming table.....waist high bath tub, grey water tank.....everything. She's complete self-contained. It is WONDERFUL!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't mind the baths so much. It's the blowdryer that bugs me. I just hide my head under mom's arm and it doesn't feel so bad anymore.

Corbell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast