Do your dogs BURY their favorite toys???

Thread: Do your dogs BURY their favorite toys???

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo your dogs BURY their favorite toys???

Payton has a problem. She loves to dig. We are talking: watch the dirt fly. Dig a bunker so she can lie in it when she is hot. Mine field. (I read how one of you has left an "acceptable" area for the dog to excavate because it is a natural drive and we are going to work hard on that this spring/summer.) BUT, that being said....She really cracked me up the last 2 days with her antics.
    One of her "favorite" toys is a weighted ball attached to a raccoon-type tail. Unfortunately, we always have to put many of her toys away after we are done playing as she will "power chew" them to death. ;D I am sure she knew this particular toy was going to be taken out of her reach. She took it into her own hands....errr, paws yesterday. She dug a hole under the Spruce tree, placed the treasure into it, and buried it. She did such a fine job, that it took DH and me 2 searches to find it, even though we knew where it was. I even had the shovel out trying to exhume it and couldn't find it. Today when she got the same toy again, she again buried it. She would take her little snout and cover it up so precisely. I had always heard of dogs "burying their bone" but never had one do it before!

Any other dogs cover up their buried treasures?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do your dogs BURY their favorite toys???

Lucy used to dig but not so much anymore..Cricket on the other hand...I have "ankle breakers" all over the back yard...
    neither bury anything though...

I can picture exactly what Payton is doing though..my Mom's dog buried toys and bones with precision. I agree it is quite entertaining to watch.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Neither of my dogs bury toys

However I was working on a building site at one stage and had to tie Jasper to the steps outside the site office.

One of the workmen gave him one of their sandwiches which he gratefully accepted and then proceeded to bury it !

Apart from the filling not being to his liking i have yet to find the reason for his doing this !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cierra my BR fox hound in my siggie loves to bury things. If she cannot get outside she uses the couch cushions to hide things (or a pile of laundry waiting to go in the washer.

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Mickey's a digger. He accidently buried a ball at the beach once, but he really didn't intend on it, he just started digging too close to where he left his ball. We take him to the beach regularly to get his digging fetish exorcized. Otherwise, we're filling in potholes here, and our crappy grass will never get a chance to grow back in.
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

banshee is offline Senior Member

My late Babe was a digger when she was younger. But she dug not to bury things but to get under the fence we had in the backyard. Luckily we always saw her doing it and distracted her(she wanted to play with the neighbors' basset hound). It's amazing how efficient those soft padded paws are for digging!

I've never seen Cooper dig. I was just talking with my husband last night about the many ways Cooper and Babe, both Labs, differed in their doggy habits.
    Last edited by banshee; 07-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

No never have.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh, you must take a video of Payton burying the toy, please! I've never seen a dog bury something, just dig and make holes.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

That is really funny. I've always thought of that as a cartoon-type stereotype, I've never seen a dog actually do it. Payton is a smart girl!!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Neither Seamus nor Flynn are/were toy guys, really. Occasionally they (would) pick up a stuffie and give it a good shake and drop it where they were standing. Game over. Paddy had quite a few stuffies, one favorite that he carried EVERYWHERE with him (a Koala), but he did like to gather them up and nest them on his fireside bed.

Meg (beagle) was a rawhide bone hoarder; she'd steal the bones from all the boys and hide them in places I wouldn't discover for maybe a year or two!

Darwin likes to bury himself in his various blankies, especially his "mink" one on my bed. He's very enthusiastic about that.

Great game. GREAT game, burying your little self!

Seamus and Flynn