What makes a dog crave wood?

Thread: What makes a dog crave wood?

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultWhat makes a dog crave wood?

My newest addition, Zoey, 14 months old, is suddenly craving wood ??? The last two days when I let her and Merlot back in the house after their excersize, she always grabs a stick or tree branch and trys to bring it in with her This morning I let them out for about an hour and I noticed the rails on my patio deck were all chewed up! Merlot told me Zoey did it and I believe him, because Merlot only chews the screens out of the windows and doesn't bother the wood ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What makes a dog crave wood?

They're Labs. They crave and eat anything that doesn't eat them first.

Laura

Kathryn Guest

Jacey tries to eat the fence : .
    I don't trust any of them to go out alone. I always go out. Rain, Snow, 30 below, sun. I always go out with them!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot_1
    My newest addition, Zoey, 14 months old, is suddenly craving wood ??? The last two days when I let her and Merlot back in the house after their excersize, she always grabs a stick or tree branch and trys to bring it in with her This morning I let them out for about an hour and I noticed the rails on my patio deck were all chewed up! Merlot told me Zoey did it and I believe him, because Merlot only chews the screens out of the windows and doesn't bother the wood ;D

Ooooh great - now i can chew the wood and blame Zoey Mmmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwahhhhhhahh

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Saska is also a wood chewer, needless to say we had to buy our neighbours a new fence panel , as she was being very quiet the other day and when i went to check on her in the garden, I could see into next doors garden, luckily he thought is was funny, but my purse strings did not. Now I keep a eye on her when she is out in the back yard playing.

Merlot_1 Guest

Every dog I ever owned, including labradors, outgrew chewing wood as soon as they got their adult teeth in. This is a surprise to me that some adult dogs still chew wood. It is not boredom in Zoey's case, as Merlot keeps her occupied 24/7, so I am at odds ???

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot_1
    Every dog I ever owned, including labradors, outgrew chewing wood as soon as they got their adult teeth in. This is a surprise to me that some adult dogs still chew wood. It is not boredom in Zoey's case, as Merlot keeps her occupied 24/7, so I am at odds ???
    Dryf has always chewed wood, but has never destroyed anything. he just eats branches.

I would no say your dogs are NEVER bored just because they are two. She may very well be chewing out of boredom. If you have more than one human child, they still get bored of each other at some point in the day.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I often joke that Kimba should have been named BEAVER. NO JOKE!
    There is nothing kimba prefers over wood. We have a pile of firewood on the side of the house and without fail each time Kimba goes out to potty he runs to the wood pile and grabs a piece. He then proceeds to tear the bark off that piece and when finished will go get the next one. It is like a sawmill in our yard somedays. Even at the dog park he prefers a log to the pleasure of any dogs' company. Today he picked up a 4 foot, 6 inch diameter log and taunted all the other dogs to play keep away, mostly he is running by himself bc no one else's dogs seem to be interested in a tree branch. It is amusing to my husband and I and we get a good laugh when we hike and he tried to pick up some massive log or tree branch and carry it around. :P
    Oh and it goes for things in the house as well- first things he will go for- he is no longer allowed in our bedroom alone since we bought our new cherry sleigh bed!!