Traveling safely with puppy

Thread: Traveling safely with puppy

DefaultTraveling safely with puppy

For her first few trips I've been hauling Cassie's metal crate out and using it in the back of my minivan. It's getting old - it's a hassle, it rattles and I really have to finagle to fit it back there with the double stroller. I'd like her to travel safely, so I can't leave her to roam free in the van. She's all over the place and ends up under my feet, so it's really not safe for any of us. I'm not sure a seatbelt/harness would work well, as she'd have to be belted in on the 3rd row bench seat since I have the 2 child seats in the middle row. She'd be too far away for me to comfort her while she gets used to it and she won't be able to see me at all while I'm driving (a source of whining right now). I'm considering buying a plastic travel kennel (the air travel type) for the rear of the van that I could tether down and leave there. Is that the best solution?

How does your lab travel in your car/van? TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Traveling safely with puppy

Get a pet divider for the cargo area. It'll restrict the pup to the rear of the van with no need for a crate.

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-20045.../dp/B0002MABGE

They sell these all over the place.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I have a large SUV with two metal crates in the back. A plastic crate would be fine for your pup.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with using a divider for a puppy. The puppy could chew seats, carpet, etc., and since they are in the way back part of the van you would never know it. Also, there is no way to keep a puppy from jumping out of the back of the van as you are raising the back door. If the puppy is in a crate you can safely get a leash on them before letting them out of the crate and then out of the car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I used a plastic crate until he outgrew it. We then bought a organizer-thing from Wal Mart that fit between the two seats in the 2nd row (we had an Odyssey), and he never ventured over it, though he could have. Toby has never chewed anything, but then again, we don't leave him alone in the car for too long.

Now I have Jeep Cherokee, and he sits in the back without any divider. He is the most mellow dog I have ever known!

Thanks. I thought about putting up the divider, but she's 11 weeks now, chews everything and is not potty trained yet so I'm afraid my rear carpet would be a wreck if I left her "free" back there.

I have a puppy harness that clips to the regular seatbelt. Mom insists that I wear this in the car because she once had a little dog that was thrown only a foot or two (but still a whole foot or two!) when some idiot slammed on his brakes in front of her. She's WAY too nervous and concerned about my safety to let me into the car without my seatbelt harness. Even the first few months when she and dad were cleaning up my travel nausea each time I was in the car they still insisted on having me safe.

One time I even puked ON mom while dad was driving since she clipped my harness through her seatbelt so I could sit on her lap. Now THAT'S love.

Corbell

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

Could you use a seatbelt harness in the front seat?

When he gets older, I thoroughly recommend the pet barrier. We have one in our SUV, and also a vinyl mat which fits into the cargo area to protect the carpet. That has been an absolute godsend. Even though ours have never pottied in the car, we have had incidents of puking and of course the muddy paws everywhere. It is a breeze to just wipe down the vinyl. On long trips we put their beds in there so they can ride in style and comfort.

I order this seat beat http://www.champk-9.com/CCSS.htm from
    http://www.champk-9.com/

The color I wanted is on back order. So I've been waiting for a little over a month.
    They said they should have more in by April 7.

To me it looks like a good option...I drive a car, and not a suv so yea.....

We have a full size conversion van..the minute Dakota is in it..he lays on the floor, either between us..or in back of my husbands seat. This is my van..hubby has an Avalanche, we put the back seats down and off we go..we only take them to the beach which is a 5 minute ride from our house, it's for 4 wheel drive vehicles..when we go out on errands and take the dogs..we go in my van.
    Jackie

Safest place your dog can be while riding in a car is in a crate, reguardless of age. I personally prefer wire crates because they allow for air flow.