Ex-pen Review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-pen Review

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultEx-pen Review

My wife (Zakks_Mommy) bought Zakk an Ex-pen about a month ago..... it is great! Since we both work during the day and Zakk isn't quite ready for unsupervised freedom in the house, we felt that he needed more room. Zakk seems much calmer when we get home in the afternoon since he can move around during the day.

She bought the 48" high pen from dog.com. We attach it directly to his crate so he still has the use of his crate (which is where he prefers to sleep). We leave his water and food bowls in the pen with him at night and during the day so he can eat as he pleases. It folds away nicely when we leave it attached to the crate and is light enough that we can take it down quickly if we are home and don't want to look at it. Just figured I would give a review on the ex-pen and recommend it to others.

Post questions if you have any!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Ex-pen Review

I use this same setup if I'm going to be gone any longer than 3 hours. It does work great and Sami seems very content. I like the fact that it allows her to move around at least a little bit.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

We've used our xpen since we brought Caleb home. At first it was for times when we couldn't keep an eye on him 100% (like during our grand daughter's birthday party and when I had a migraine). Just before Christmas, Caleb out grew the one crate that fits in the kitchen. Since then he's been staying in the xpen at night and when we aren't home. I love the one we have in the house. Unlike the one we have outside, the panels will fold in either direction, and it's light weight (the one outside weighs a ton). The inside one is 30 inches tall, so I can step over it real easy, too. The only downfall to the set up we have now is that the poor rabbit has only been out to play once since we brought Caleb home (I attach the pen to the front of his cage to let him play). I'm planning on getting a second one soon anyway- we're all going to West Point in a couple of weeks for a paintball event. Since Caleb will be in the pen more than when we're home, I want to give him more room. I can buy additional panels for the pen I have now, but could use a second one for the rabbit anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How does the ex-pen attach to your crate? Is it a special crate that goes with it? Is your crate like a cage one of a vari-kennel one.
    How much was it and where did you get it?
    We are thinking of this option in our new house for Kimba. He typically stays in a large mudd room but lately he decided to start eating the walls so we have to crate him again while we are out.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kimbabear
    How does the ex-pen attach to your crate? Is it a special crate that goes with it? Is your crate like a cage one of a vari-kennel one.
    How much was it and where did you get it?
    We are thinking of this option in our new house for Kimba. He typically stays in a large mudd room but lately he decided to start eating the walls so we have to crate him again while we are out.
    I attach mine w/ what looks like a leash cliip. I'm not sure the name of them, but they are available at home depot in the key dept. I use a regular 42" wire crate and attach the x-pen to that w/ the clips. It only takes 4 clips -- two on each side. I picked up my xpen at Petsmart ... but it's been nearly 2 years ago so I don't remember the price. Sorry.

How big is the area inside the ex-pen? Do they try to climb/jump out? I would like Barnsley to have more freedom but I don't think he will leave stuff alone in the house and it's not that I worry so much about my stuff that I do his safety. He likes to rip up things and eat them so that is scary for me. I will be interested to hear what people have to say about them. How old is Zakk?

Do you think you could attach it to a vari-kennel, not a wire crate?
    PS Thatsmygirl- love the siggy pic, Sami is SOOOOO good looking!! Looks similar to Kimba

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

We have an expen but don't use it as such. It's set up to barricade her from the steps to the garage and to the bedroom while we're at work.

Funny, cuz she she an 18" closet shelf separating her from the hall to the living room, and she has never jumped it.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

curly is offline Senior Member

We got our ex-pen from dog.com, I think it was ~$75 shipped. The four clips came with the pen... it even had metal stakes with it for outside use (can be pushed into the ground to secure the pen).

Zakk tried to jump up on it one time. Since we have it on a ceramic tile floor, it 'slid' with him (without collapsing since it is hooked on both sides of his crate) and he quickly was back on all four paws. He hasn't tried jumping up on it since . The area inside the pen (when attached to the crate) is roughly a 6'x6' circle. You can configure the ex-pen into whatever shape fits the area. I'm sure you could make some sort of wire loop or eye bolt to hook onto the vari-kennel that could be used with the clips to secure the ex-pen.

I use ex-pens for all three of my kids. Belle has a 36 inch tall one and Kodi and Hoss each have a 42 inch one. They have ben in ex-pens since they were about 8 months old (previously in veri-kennels).

I think they would be a bit harder to attach to a vari-kennel, as the only place to attach the ex-pen would be at the vents on the top half of the crate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast