With all the recalls... something to think about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With all the recalls... something to think about

DefaultWith all the recalls... something to think about

Hi all, I am a raw feeder and I belong to several other dog related groups. With the recent recalls and questions about pet foods right now alot of folks are switching to grain free kibble, homemade and raw. I know its on alot of folks minds, the message boards on other groups i'm on are in the hundreds and hundreds per day with concerned pet owners. Grain free kibble,for kibble feeders seems like a wise choice as it seems that the grain sources seem to be the problem. Just food for thought. Take Care.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: With all the recalls... something to think about

Since this recall, I am doubly glad I feed grain free. I got my parents onto grain free for their 3 dogs 1.5 years ago as well, and that's the first thing my dad said to me "Well, I'm pretty glad you got us to switch".

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Not every dog can handle the high levels of protein and fat. Not every owner can handle the high price tag of grainless food. And I have to ask ... does this make you feel any better about feeding meat (to yourself or your dog)?: http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...30654720070329

The food chain obviously isn't as safe as we think it is.

FWIW, I feed raw and dehydrated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Not every dog can handle the high levels of protein and fat. Not every owner can handle the high price tag of grainless food. And I have to ask ... does this make you feel any better about feeding meat (to yourself or your dog)?: http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...30654720070329

The food chain obviously isn't as safe as we think it is.

FWIW, I feed raw and dehydrated.
    I agree about the high price, but there are options out there. Ryans/Global Pet store makes their own grain free holistic verson, Nature's Harvest, that is about 42$ for a 40 lb bag. That's what I'm using and I love it. And I agree, the food chain isn't nearly as safe as we think it is.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it may not be all grains that are prone to become tainted - it seems like I have mostly heard about corn and wheat. I *think* I read somewhere that these can be more prone to develop toxins if improperly stored. ??? That's the impression I was left with after some reading...?

Of course, rice could be contaminated with rat poison as well. :-\ But rice has a shelf life of what, eternity?

The boys are eating foods with only human-grade ingredients. While even that is no guarantee of anything (spinach, Peter Pan : ), it makes me feel a *little* safer. Hopefully the standards of inspection are higher.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it may not be all grains that are prone to become tainted - it seems like I have mostly heard
    Corn and wheat are the big ones...just about all the recalls involve some problem with either corn or wheat.

Another thing to consider is just doing a little bit of background research on your brand. Do they make their own food, or do they hire another company to produce it? Where do they get their ingredients?

Jinx is offline Senior Member

I feed Healthwise and feel pretty good about it. I'd like to feed Evo, but with three large dogs it isn't an option for me. Plus I worry about the long term effects of the high protein/fat content.
    Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Not every dog can handle the high levels of protein and fat.
    Not al grain-free foods have high levels of protein and fat.

Jinx is offline Senior Member

Betsy, which ones don't? That's a big concern for me.
    Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Mickey developed such a raging allergy to corn and wheat (chicken and peanut butter) that we had to start feeding him a special diet from very early on. We feed Wellness Simple, but I just saw that link in the other thread about Flint River. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I won't get into my opinion about what's killed the local/family owned farm and how the American public is now reaping what our government has sown, but there it is.

In any case, we were very lucky to find that Mickey's allergies are controllable mostly through removing those ingredients from his diet. Who knows what lovely new horror is going to come from all this. My Mom's cat was on a prescription weight reduction diet, and she passed recently from kidney failure. Seem awful coincidental, especially since she was never sick, had no chronic illnesses, and was only 7 years old. My Mom is beside herself, worried that the prescription diet might've killed her.

WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast