Just Labradors banner

A baby step ...... walking on trail today.....

752 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DFWLab 
#1 ·
I took Rowan out for a walk on the trail behind our house.. and at first she started pulling me like crazy... (she had harness on)..... and I decided .... to 'try' her off leash with some of the tips and tricks I've read her.... now MIND you .. there weren't any other dogs on the trial... and I had my leash in hand.. JUST IN CASE....

but.. I let her off the leash and she would run ahead a bit.. I would call her and she would stop or run back to me.. I would give her praise.. and a treat..... it continued to the point where I would test her.. and say, "ROWAN COME".. and she would run back.. in anticipation of a treat..... at one point..... when we got closer to our yard... she stopped and looked at me... and when I called her she just stood there..... looking in the other direction.... (as the neighbours dog was in their yard)... so I got down into a squat... and said.... "HEY".. real loud.. and she came a running... and of course... got a treat!! I then proceeded to get in front of her..... and guided her into the yard.....

I was happy with how well she did.... should I continue to do this... only when no other dogs are in the vacinity or what are your suggestions????

#5 ·
Good job Rowan! I agree with Nance in this situation, having made the "hey" mistake a few times. Both girls, even Abzilla now!, know when I preclude Come with a name, it means business.

Isn't it great to get out on a trail and be able to let them off to run like maniacs through the woods etc. It always puts a smile in my heart. ;D

#7 ·
Firstly, she is still young, so you can't expect a rock solid recall. I think there is a lot pressure on pet owners to have "perfect" dogs -- dogs that come back 100% of the time, dogs that never get distracted, etc., but for the average dog and owner that is NOT reality and not to be expected. Don't put pressure on yourself. Enjoy her. It sounds as though you have some fantastic walking trails that are practically on your doorstep -- don't keep her on leash all the time, have fun!

The more you allow her off leash to enjoy herself the less of a novelty it becomes.

Lack of recall around distractions is partly due to age and partly due to training. She WILL improve with age. Mine were nightmares about running up to other dogs when they were puppies. I never made a big deal if they did as they are only doing what comes naturally -- dogs are social creatures. If we deprive them of contact with their own kind they are going to crave it more. Obviously if you see a leashed or muzzled dog you want to call her back but otherwise, ask the owner if the dog is friendly and then allow them a sniff and a play.

#8 ·
TangerineFizz said:
Isn't it great to get out on a trail and be able to let them off to run like maniacs through the woods etc. It always puts a smile in my heart. ;D
I gotta agree here, there is something really cool about being out on the trails and walking through fields, splashing in the creek, with a LAB! I've started doing that offleash the past 2 weeks as well (have same behavior as Dawsons...) and Chuy seems so much more calm, relaxed and content at night. Its probably partially the exercise, but i think it could also be somewhat of the "fullfilling the breed" as well, and letting them do what they were born to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.