What could happen if they don't let you flush their ears (very long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could happen if they don't let you flush their ears (very long)

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat could happen if they don't let you flush their ears (very long)

I can totally relate to Molly and Molly's mom's issue with cleaning her ears.
    Here goes the story for those interested...

Buck absolutely refuses to let me "flush" his ears. He lets me clean the outter ear with a cotton ball and the cleaning solution. But he will not let me put drops into the ear canal and clean it out that way. I think this all stems from the very first ear infection he had back when he was only 10 weeks old (last march). The solution that I was given to flush his ears with definitely stung his ears. Ever since then ear cleaning has been a battle. At least back then he was small enough that I was able to hold him down and flush the ear. It's just not the case anymore I can't hold down a 71 lb dog all by myself and clean his ears!

Well anyways...after that first ear infection was all cleared up he went infection free for months. He had a mild one in september which I was able to treat with cleaning the outter ear and applying ottomax. I tend not to mess with his ears if they look healthy. Usually I can tell an infection is coming even before the gunk appears. His ears get inflammed. As soon as this happens I begin "treatment"
    He then had another infection at the end of January. This time around it came with a vengence. It was red and swollen and gunky and just simply nasty. I took him to the vet and they recommended flushing and gave us a strong antibiotic ointment. I could barely get a drop or two into that ear to flush it. So I just continued cleaning the outter ear and just squeezing drops of solution into his ear with a cotton ball in an attempt to flush his ear.

Well the awfulness went away after 10 days of treatment but a day after I stopped the antibiotic the gunk came back and then day two we were back to square one. I took him back to the vet. Since, he didn't have severe inflammation anymore they were able to look deep into the canal. Turns out there was such a bad build up that unless we got that inner ear cleared out the infection would keep coming back no matter what we did.

So we went back today and the vet sedated him and did an "auriflush". Basically they put a tubey type thing down his ear and sucked and cleaned and flushed out the inner ear. They don't believe he has an allergy issue. The vet said that his left ear canal ( always the one to get infected) is slightly oddly shaped. Which makes it prone to build up. The only way at this point to prevent these build ups from occuring is for me to continue cleaning his ear and doing whatever it takes to get him used to flushing it at least once a week. Or I have to keep coming back for $160 ear cleaning sessions :P Which is not good for him (unnecessary sedation) and not good for my wallet either.

Buck was at the vet's all day. I picked him up after work and he has basically whinned every min I didn't just sit there holding him. He is either feeling icky from the sedation or he is just totally playing me and making me feel guilty for leaving him at the vet's alone, again! Or it's both.
    Starting day after tomorrow Buck and I are going to start training for "Ear Flushies!"

Moral of story : It's not always food related. And labbies must let their moms and dads flush those ears because sometimes that's the best way to prevent an infection :P

Edited to add: If your dog's ear looks, smells, feels fine...I wouldn't mess with it. Just check them every week to make sure all is well and be sure to dry them after every swim.

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What could happen if they don't let you flush their ears (very long)

Seeing as Molly doesn't enjoy ear cleaning and I'm still figuring it out (haha) I just wanted to send :-* for Buck and some ((hugs)) for you

The things we go through for the pups we love.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

aww thanks! We need it!
    Especially, Buck. He was also given his rabies shot and stuff today. Poor guy is really really pooped out.

If you figure out the whole flushing thing before we do...let us know! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I have never flushed Rowan's ears.... I have looked a few times and they are clean... is there something that I don't know about??? that I should be doing??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Buckyball, Buck might have reacted that first time because their might have been alcohol in the cleaner. If he had any open sores in his ears that would have burned. The stuff I was using on Oona was Animal Dermatology Laboratories (ADL) Foaming Ear Cleanser. You put the stuff in and it has the consistency of dish soap. You put it in the ear canal and rub the back of the ear so that it makes a squishy sound. It foams up and breaks up all of the deep ear wax. I also use the flat cotton pads rather than cotton balls, because they work better. I have to tell you that it worked great at getting the gunk out, but Oona had a reaction to it so I stopped using it. Also I have Oona lay down on her side and I will lay down next to her on her stomach side and put my shoulder on her shoulder so she can't get up. Try working with Buck as to laying down like this and you in this position, giving him some of his kibble and stroking his ears, and petting him so he gets the idea that this is a good thing.

I had the same problem initially with Amber so I would have he rup on my bed while I watched TV and then played with her ears periodically I would touch then look in and then give her a treat. After a while she learned "ears" and now she will let me look in and apply drops and cleaners. I always give a treat right afterward and she has come to love our "ear" time. Well maybe not love but she will put up with it and loves the treat. You just have to start out small and reward like crazy and then work your way up and do it often so it is no big deal.
    And Rowan alot of labs get ear infections so doing a weekly cleaning isn't a bad idea. Also anytime they get in the water is a good time to clean them out.

Kelly and Amber

Rowans mom if they appear clean and smell fine. dont mess with them! Youre lucky. Emma has perfect ears but Aidan has gotten them from certain foods...he is on Pro Plan Beef now and has no problems.

2 good articles
    http://www.vetinfo.com/dogear.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html <--- recipe for the purple ear solution here. doesnt sting them...use the witch hazel rather than the alcohol if they have a flare up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    I have never flushed Rowan's ears.... I have looked a few times and they are clean... is there something that I don't know about??? that I should be doing??
    If they are clean...don't bug 'em ;D Make sure to just dry the ear after a swim.

Oonas dad...the first solution did have IPA in it. I can imagine how much that must have stung the poor guy. For this time around I requested that they give me the kind of stuff you mentioned. I know this stuff doesn't sting but the poor guy's probably scarred from the stinging he experienced from the previous solution. :-\

I only have issues with his left ear too. The right one is always perfectly clean. I only give that ear a quick clean once a month or so if it looks like it needs it.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger's ears sometimes have a musty smell but i never see any gunk. i flush them just about once a month. am i only supposed to flush them only if i see gunk? i flushed them yesterday with the purple ear solution. also we live in a hot humid area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast