Preventing jumping UP - Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing jumping UP - Help!

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPreventing jumping UP - Help!

Our 6 month old behaves pretty good, except the jumping up when one of us comes in the house. She gets very excited!. I could maybe understand it if she was alone in the house, but let's say my wife stays with her and I'm gone for a couple of hours, she still gets excited when I come in and starts to jump. I've tried holding her down,etc but to no avail... I've read to kick her in the chest.... but I rather not do that. ( Is kind of nice been greeted like that, but she is getting BIGGER)
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

DefaultRe: Preventing jumping UP - Help!

Duke was the same way when he was a pup. A lot of patients and a solid command will work. Tell him "down" (or what ever command you want to use) and point to the ground. Don't pet him or give him any love until his feet are on the ground. As for other people who come in ask them to ignor him until he settles. It takes time and patients but it works. Duke now comes to the door with his choice of toy and greets me with a big ole butt wiggle. Brings a smile to my heart. ;D

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would try ignoring her completely -- no eye contact, no saying her name, no anything -- until she has "4 on the floor". As soon as she is calmer, praise her. If she starts to jump up, go back to step one. She needs to learn that jumping does not get her what she's looking for.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Another thing to try when you or your wife are home and the other comes home, have her on a leash and give a quick leash correction if she jumps along with a command like "off". Then you go back outside without paying her any attention and repeat until she remains on all fours. Then praise her like she just won best in show. Once you see she is getting it, you can go to only verbal correction without the leash. You'll have to do this everyday or every other day for a week or two to reinforce it. Then periodically to refresh her memory.

This worked well for us.

Mike Bons is offline Senior Member

I would try to replace this behaviour with the sit command. Have a mat near the back door (but that is away from the door). The mat gives him a more defined area where he must stay. If he gets off the mat - correct for that. When someone come to the door have him sit on the mat, and as others have said do not pay any attention to him, when he is settled and calm then calmly pet/praise him.
    Mike

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe's command is sit also.

However, she does get excited when I get home, so I shove a toy in her mouth. She does her little wiggle butt thing and everyone is happy.

The sit command was for when people had treats. She would try to get it by jumping. Now she'll do a solid sit and wait.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

"ThatsMyGirl"'s advice is right on.

Absolutely no eye contact, absolute no touching, absolutely no words spoken to her, and immediately turn you back, walk away if you can.

This method works for me with the neighbors 80#, 2 year old, obnoxious pointer that we 'dog sit' occasionally. Also worked with a very 'pushy' German Shepard that I encountered when visiting it's home for a group thing.

This also works when you are sitting at a table or on the sofa/whatever. Do not acknowledge the dog at all in any way and if possible, turn your back/shoulder to the dog, your head especially turned away, until all fours are on the ground or behavior is what you want. This method is also good to teach to small children so that they too can give the dog this proper "alpha" signal of "you are not the boss of me - I will acknowledge you when I choose, not when you choose". olice:

*a blending of Jan Fennell and Cesar Millan methods*
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DO NOT KICK HER IN THE CHEST!!

OMG - File that one under "Our Worst Advice."

Teach and use OFF (not down -- that's a different command). The leash will help you.

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

Great Ideas!

Thanks everybody

ds77755 is offline Member

Fall River (Dana) had a great post about this awhile back that helped us tremendously. Ellie was a huge jumper whenever we came home. Within 2 weeks it stopped completely.

Here's the link:
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,13796.0.html

GL
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast