Today's Show n Go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Show n Go

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultToday's Show n Go

This morning our club had a Show n Go. I planned to take Simon, as Angus got to go to school twice last week, so I figured it was Simon's turn to get out and have some fun.

Simon had two runs. He lags a lot and doesn't pay a heck of a lot of attention, but otherwise he did very well. Had a beautiful pop-up stand and was rock-solid on the exam. The judge commented at least three times about what a "cute" dog he is. Very cute, she said. ;D He did great on his sits and downs. We went the long length of the ring, and Simon never looked like he was even thinking about moving.

One of the ring stewards asked if I had not been working with Simon as much as Angus. I told her well, Angus has a year of training on Simon, and Simon is just such a different personality. He's never going to have that same enthusiasm as Angus. She said Angus was just looking so good lately. She remembers Angus from the dreaded Level Two class, at the end of which he tanked on his CGC. So she can really appreciate how far he's come.

Well, Simon and I got in and out of there so quick, I realized I had time to run home and get Angus. Why not, right?

Angus was very jazzed, as usual. Everyone waiting around on deck was just watching him, smiling. He is really good at enjoying himself. He did pretty well with his heeling, but not a lot of heads-up today. Oh well. He got a little excited on the stand for exam and moved his feet. Well, he wagged them out from under himself. Ah, Angus.

Then it was time for the recall. Now, this is Angus' strong suit. He comes barreling in like a locomotive and almost always hits a perfect front. He should really get *extra* points for his enthusiasm, IMO.

But...today, there were two post-its on the floor between me and him. We have been having a hell of a time with stickers on the floor. I have been making a monumental effort to curb his desire to try to eat every sticker he sees by heeling over them repeatedly and correcting. This has gotten us pretty far in a short amount of time. However, we have not practiced recall over stickers. Ooops.

He starts out in usual fashion, bullet out of a gun, full speed, then spies the post-it, veers off and performs a very elaborate butt-tuck around the post-it. I look up and everyone outside the ring looks like this: ;D It really is kind of funny. But I stifle a laugh and get him to front, and ask if we can try again.

The second time I got my spot-on perfect recall. HUGE CHEER from the sidelines! ;D

Sits and downs have been our folly...but today he managed! Oh, he was still a little too interested in everything that was going on around him, but I was standing most of the way across the ring and he made it!!!

One thing I noticed with both boys that I thought was kind of funny: Out of a lineup of at least ten dogs, different ones for each set, Angus and Simon were the only ones whose tail beat a constant "thump thump thump!" on the return.

So, we had a fun morning. Now we're off to find somewhere to run around like little banshees off leash!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Today's Show n Go

veers off and performs a very elaborate butt-tuck around the post-it
    Yippee Angus! I know it isn't what he's supposed to do but dang doesn't that dog enjoy life. ;D

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Oh Jeanne. He sure does! Where is the video camera when I need it?!

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh Angus, you little monkey!! You and Henery are two peas in a pod!

Sounds like you all had great fun this weekend!

patm is offline Senior Member

Were the post-it's there as a purposeful distraction? I never thought of post-it notes! I had Emilu in a conformation training class today and at one point someone said "the judges would just love her" When I asked why, they said it was because her tail had never quit wagging the whole time, and they like a happy lab!

HAHAHA. I can just picture Angus' drive by butt tuck. ;D I always say you better have a sense of humor if you're going to show dogs.

Sounds like both boys had a good day. When is your next show?

A bunch of us like minded individuals got together today for an impromptu match since we have a 4 day cluster next weekend and everyone is trying to prepare. About 25 of us showed up at a park, set up 3 rings and ran each other thru Open and Utility. We had people talking, laughing, playing with their dogs right outside the ring for distractions and we were able to work the dogs thru it. It was the most organized, worthwhile, relaxing "match" I've ever been to. I think we're going to try to do this at least once/month. ;D

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

I always love your stories Connie! Good job Simon AND Angus!!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

sounds like a fun time was had by all! ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Good job Angus and Simon! I'll have to try the post-it distraction trick.

The Post-its were there to show the ring stewards where to stand for the Figure 8. The line for the recall went right over both of them.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast