Dilemma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDilemma

When Tal was neutered last week I was shocked to know his weight is 79.2 lbs! He is s solid muscle.

He is 7 months and I am wondering if I should switch to an adult food. My instinct says not to...that he is still not finished growing (expecting 90 - 100 lbs) and to continue with the food I have been giving him. Not having any problems or anything, I just want to do what is best for him.

Right now I am planning on switching him about late July or early August. He turns 1 on July 17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dilemma

My vet said between 10-12 months so that's what I'm doing with Gabs. I think she's just a bit older than Tal (July 2nd).

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    My vet said between 10-12 months so that's what I'm doing with Gabs. I think she's just a bit older than Tal (July 2nd).
    Thanks! And I did not realize that Tal and Gabby were so close in age! Cool!

What your vet said is consistent with what mine told me also and everything I have read. I was just thinking in terms of his size.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wish I knew more about growing puppies and nutrition. What you're thinking makes sense- hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    I wish I knew more about growing puppies and nutrition. What you're thinking makes sense- hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond.
    Yeah I hgope so. It never occured to me that he would need adult food before the first birthday. But at 79 lbs (tho still growing) I can;t help but wonder.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Good to know!!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

georgie is offline Senior Member

My vet recommends switching to adult food around a year old. Abby turned 1 year in January & we switched her then to adult. I did it gradually though.

Mar and Tal have the same b-day!

Wow Tal is a big boy, Mar got neutered a few days ago and was only 61lbs - we thought he was gonna be big but maybe not so big?

Sorry I can't answer the food questions - my guess would be to call your vet and see what they suggest.

Wow! 79 at 7 months! Summer is 2 and 74 and my vet told me she needed to lose a few!
    We switched summer right before her first birthday gradually.
    Tal is so cute!

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Wow, Tal IS a big boy! Goodness! Thor weighs in at 79.1 lbs and he's over 2 years old. I think I switched to adult food at a year old also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast