best day at dog park.....own private dog fest!!!!

Thread: best day at dog park.....own private dog fest!!!!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultbest day at dog park.....own private dog fest!!!!

Our son and his wife came up yesterday and brought their 1 year old boxer. She is such a sweetie!! She's a very small boxer....only 45 pounds.....very slim and sleek. Sally is already as big as she is (not as tall, but much thicker) and almost as heavy at 42 pounds.

So....we decided to take ALL of the dogs over to one of the private dog parks that we can rent. So I loaded up both Basset Hounds and Sally in my SUV....they took their boxer and off we went. The trip over there was a story in itself.

Anyway, the private dog parks are 2-3 acres....completely fenced in....with a large open field and even a large wooded area.....water spigot.....dog's paradise. So, open the gate....let the dogs in....and LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!

Of course, the first thing was Sally and Heidi (boxer) started butt-tucking all around the field. I always thought Sally was fast, but she couldn't begin to keep up with that sleek boxer. But bless her little heart, she tried. My little lab puppy hung in there butt-tucking like she's never before. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Even the male Basset Hound made an attempt to run with them. Of course, that lasted about 2 minutes.

Then we fetched and retrieved and sniffed all in the woods (that's where the Bassets REALLY enjoyed themselves). Those 4 dogs played and played and played. Well, except the female Basset....she's old and doesn't enjoy anything remotely associated with exerting any energy. But she did enjoy just being out with us.

My son kept telling me how good Heidi is at retrieving. I'm thinking, "You ain't seen retrieving yet until you see Sally!" So we threw the ball for them, and of course, every time Heidi beat Sally down to the ball. And for the first 3 or 4 retrieves, Heidi brought it back....with Sally following behind looking like, "Hey, let me do it. I want to do it, too!"

Then the difference in the two dogs showed through. After about the 4th retrieve, Heidi lost interest. She would still run down to the ball or object, but had no interest in bringing it back. Sally, on the other hand, brought it back every single time. Not only brought it back, but brought it to me so I could throw it again. My son and his wife were very impressed with my little retriever!! ;D ;D ;D

It was such a great afternoon. Only one problem. I left both my camera and my video camera at home!! :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: best day at dog park.....own private dog fest!!!!

Oh wow, sounds like sooo much fun. It's amazing how much they retrieve. Trooper really has gotten into retrieving now. He lost interest of all of the other dogs at the dog park and focuses on retrieving his tennis balls.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Yep.....Sally is a little retrieving fool! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

a good dog park story! ;D don't forget your cameras next time. i love seeing photos and vids of sally. ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford