is gabby fat?

Thread: is gabby fat?

Defaultis gabby fat?

My agility trainer constantly tells me that Gabby is fat- but I think her dogs are very, very skinny. Just for information, she goes to the dog park every morning for an hour, does training in the afternoon, and a walk before bed. She eats three cups of Nutro Lamb and Rice per day.

some photos:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: is gabby fat?

Not the greatest pictures to judge from...but from the 2nd one...I'd say she's a wee bit chubby.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Kathryn Guest

I dont think shes fat but I think shes not as thin as she could be.
    BUT she is very pretty and I would really like to love and kiss on her. she looks so sweet and loving!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

I don't think she's "fat" but she's not lean. I like my dogs like this but if I were doing agility I would take a few pounds off - even just 2 - 3 lbs makes a big difference.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and take a few pounds off of her- but I really felt the 8-10 lbs the agility trainer wanted was drastic, especially since Gabby is only 7 months and just doing weave poles and other ground stuff.

Kathryn Guest

I dont feel she looks 8-10lbs extra heavy. maybe a few but not that many..

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I agree, I think less than five would do it

She's not "fat," but that's about how Angus looked when I decided he needed to go on a diet. We just cut back on the food a tiny bit, and I knocked off the canned food I was adding to their kibble. They are now both very lean. Angus was even complimented on his physique in class last week! ;D

I would rather have them on the lean side than on the heavy side, especially with the build both of mine have.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I agree with every one else, she may need to lose a couple pounds. You said she is about 7 months old?....try cutting her food back just a little (maybe 1/4 cup each feeding) see how that goes. As they get older, they don't need to eat as much as when they are little pups....she may just be reaching the point where she is slowing down in the growth department. I am sure as she gets more into the agility she should naturally start to lose some weight also simply due to the increased exercise.

Labs have such a propensity to hip and other joint problems, it is better to have them a couple pounds underweight than overweight. Believe me, I know from experience....my Grace ruptured a ligament in her knee most likely due to her excess weight.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

If she wasn't doing agility, I'd say she's OK. But agility puts extra stress on the joints and a few pounds off would probably be better for her.

Bella

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'd say she is a little chunky because I don't see much of a waist line. I think if you are doing any kind of dog sports especially it is best to keep them on the leaner side.