What do look for when picking your puppy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do look for when picking your puppy?

DefaultWhat do look for when picking your puppy?

Hi Folks,

I first posted a few months back when we started looking for a puppy. Since then I have been reading the board and getting great information. We saw the litter last weekend that we are going with, and are going to pick our puppy out today! I'm so excited We will get to take her home on Tuesday, when she is 8 weeks old.

Just wanted some feedback on what you look for when picking a puppy out? We've been told things like: pick the biggest one, pick one that is playful, make sure the tongue is pink, no puss in the eyes, etc. Just wanted to know if there is anything else recommended. We are going with a girl.

Also, do you usually bring them home in a kennel? The drive is just over an hour away.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do look for when picking your puppy?

We travelled 6 hours to get Rowan and she sat on my lap on a fleece blanket I bought for her. She did very well. She whined for a couple of minutes but that was it.

We didn't really get to pick our puppy as there were only 3 black girls and one was litter pick by the dams 'MOM' and the other female went to a breeder home. However, from what I have seen and heard about the two girls - I am SO happy that we ended with ROWAN as she is exactly what we wanted.

Seeing the parents is helpful, health clearances and environment is also a big indicator.

Sorry, I am not much help in this area but there are A LOT of people here who have lots of knowledge.

Congratulations.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Our first puppy (Maggie) came from a rescue. There was a black girl (her) and a yellow girl. We went in wanting the yellow but she didn't want us. Maggie came over and sat in our laps, gave kisses, and won us over within minutes. Sometimes your puppy picks you. With Finn (just got him 2 weeks ago) we really didn't have much of a choice. There were only 3 yellow males in the litter and we got last pick. We did agree that if his personality didn't match what we were looking for we would pass on this litter. Lucky for us we all clicked. He was a calmer puppy than some of his litter mates which is what we wanted. Loved to have his belly rubbed and lots of kisses. One of his brothers was a terror...very agressive and did not like it when another puppy was getting attention.

I am sure you have already seen the parents and gone over health clearances so just pick a puppy that matches you is my advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

First two they put all the black males a distance from me, the first one that crawled in my lap went home. My wife picked Rowdy, her brother had the pups so we got first pick, she picked the biggest out of 5 black males.

georgie is offline Senior Member

After we saw the parents, health clearances & breeder's enviroment...we went to the breeder's & out of 11 puppies, Molly walked over to me & licked my hand. She had a purple ribbon on. She was "the purple puppy" so she picked me & she came home with us when it was time.

We wanted another black female & our breeder was in Georgia training, so Abby was the only black female of the litter. She was a perfect match for us though. We looked at the parents & knew she would be fine. She was!! The parents had all their clearances & that was what was important to us.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think it is best to let the breeder pick the puppy for you.

When we got Murph, we had pick of the litter because we were looking for the perfect puppy for a long time. We wanted a working prospect. His breeder narrowed it down to two dogs that suited our needs the most. I remember in the end she held up two puppies and had us pick...one was Murph, and the rest as they say was history!

So yeah, I'd let the breeder choose.

bibber is offline Senior Member

Here's a "puppy personality test". It doesn't tell how to score it, but I think you would want 3s. But like others have said, the breeder should be able to give you an idea of the personality.
    http://www.volhard.com/puppy/pat.htm

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Thanks everyone - great tips!

I took a look at the puppy test, very cool!

I will post pictures of her once we bring her home ;D

Any chance of doing a rescue instead?

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

I also think that most of the time puppies pick you, when we went to look at Saska she was the only one to come up to us and she licked my feet, from then on I was a goner, and she has proved to be a sweetie definitely the right choice. Good luck in your choice I am sure you will have years of fun and love to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast