Struggling.....I need to vent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling.....I need to vent

Zamode is offline Member

DefaultStruggling.....I need to vent

Sweet Buford came home tonight. I was so happy to have him coming home, I was getting teared up in the truck as he hopped in. He was excited but now he is exhausted, glad to be on his own soft, quiet bed, I am sure.

The vet's prognosis wasn't good. She said weeks to months but some dogs can hold out longer, up to a year. I am very saddened but still hopeful. I am running the gamut with emotions. I have what I feel is a strong faith and Buford has so many people praying for him yet I am worried still. I will keep praying the St. Francis Novena and hoping that if I am patient, I will be rewarded. There are some great people on this board who have been very helpful and supportive, you know who you are and I thank you with my whole heart.

The vet said Buford seemed depressed this morning. I went to see him everyday, twice on Tuesday and then just once Wednesday and Thursday because the vet asked for me to keep it to a half an hour for my visit so Boof could be on the IV more. No problem, I cut it to one visit and a half an hour or less. He was always happy and excited to see me. He didn't eat the first night so I brought food the next day and every day after that, the vet said that was fine but he did start eating for them the next three nights. I was so relieved. If he eats there, he has to eat at home. She did say, though that he got better this afternoon and was up and barking in his cage.

He came home and basically just crashed and seemed very lethargic. I'm sure being home is a big sigh of relief and he is just tired from the week he had. He's never been away from us other than at my parents'. That's been up to a week but he knows them and lived there so it was never much of a worry. I wonder if him being at the hospital made him feel he was being left there. My husband says Boof knows he is sick and I don't doubt that. The vet said it was okay to add a little bit of chicken to his food, so I added some with rice and he ate most of the chicken, not so sure how much food and the canned food was only half a can. I was rubbing him on the floor just for some lovies and he was shivering constantly every 5 seconds. Not convulsing but I didn't like it and didn't know what was going on so I called the vet. The on-call service woman paused for a few minutes when I told her what was wrong and I felt like telling her, just call the vet, wench. One of the other vets called me back and was so nice. She did say Boof seemed depressed this morning but got a little better, same as his doctor said but also that the toxins are in him and it isn't causing him pain but she did ask, is he vomiting. I know my other vet said that is not a good thing. I was trying to keep my composure talking to her and basically it sounds like they aren't giving Boof too much time and I lost it at the end of the conversation. She was very kind but I kept it short after that.

I am having such a hard time staying focused and my husband told me to calm down and let his medicines work and give him a chance to rest. He will be on 20mg of Famotidine twice a day (upset stomach), 10mg Enalapril twice a day (for the protein in his urine and also for his heart murmur) and 100mg Doxycycline three times a day (antibiotic for the damn Lyme's disease). I feel a little more composed but he is just not himself. Going to go to bed and hope he eats tomorrow and will be feeling better.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping for by posting this but I love him so very, very much and just needed to vent with people who would understand.
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Struggling.....I need to vent

I am so sorry about Buford's health problems. I've missed your earlier posts and don't know what's going on. I know he is a very sweet senior. I hope the medications will work and give him more time. You can always come here and vent and cry. Sending prayers for Buford and you.

I am sorry for the hurt you are feeling right now. It is amazing how much these guys can wiggle their way into our hearts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

If I remember correctly, Buford is having kidney problems. I'm so sorry. It's incredibly difficult to watch them in pain or any kind of discomfort, knowing that they won't be with you forever. Lots of good thoughts for your sweet boy, that he starts to perk up now that he's home. Please let us know how he, and you, are doing.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Oh Bernadette I am so sorry you have to be going through this. I am just so glad that he is home with you. Regarding the shivers it might just be that he is so physically and mentally exhausted right now he doesn't even know what to do. He needs a good nights sleep in nice warm, soft bed and plenty of hugs and kisses in the morning when he wakes up. Hang in there. I will be sending prayers.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

Of course, we're all here for you. I agree with your husband ( my husband told me to calm down and let his medicines work and give him a chance to rest). Buford is home and he just needs some time to adjust to the meds and to the change in environment. Hang in there. And you know that this is the perfect place to vent. Everyone is understanding and we want Buford to feel better as much as you do!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

It's tough to watch them unhappy and feeling bad. Give him some space. Let him rest. He'll let you know when he's feeling better.....I just hope it's really soon!

You vent away!! They are very precious to us all and it is never good when they are ill. All I can say is that Buford knows he is loved tremendously and is better being with you than the vets (love wise). Thinking of you in this time. He needs love and cuddles. xxx :-\

georgie is offline Senior Member

Vent anytime. We all know how much Buford means to you. Many of us have had ill labs & know the pain you are feeling. It is so hard to see them not feeling well. Buford is home & you can just love him & hug him as much as you want. He knows he is loved. (((((HUGS)))))

It sucks when you feel so helpless. You want to make it all better and we just pray that loving them is enough. I will say a special prayer for your entire family as you go through this trying time.

Julie and Dakota

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast