Crate issues. Again. UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate issues. Again. UPDATE

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate issues. Again. UPDATE

Well, we tried your advice Last night when Angus was bounding up to his crate, as usual, Simon padded over to his bed in the living room. Almost as though he was saying, "Come on, please, can I just sleep here?" So I patted him, told him to be VERY GOOD and not screw this up, and we left him there, baby-gated *out* of the kitchen this time.

And...so far, so good. Last night seemed to go well. I also left Angus' crate door unlatched, but shut. He didn't try to move it, of course.

This morning, Kevin was awakened by a whimper and a cold nose. :P He said, "Simon came to get me this morning." I think he thought it was cute. I hope he continues to think it is cute.

So, we'll try this for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice, as always!

This morning Simon is off to a Show n Go at the club!

Why can't Simon just adapt already? ???

Here is his latest game: He goes in the crate, with some coaxing but on his own, and then he proceeds to eek this high-pitched, distressed whine for the first half hour he's in there. :-\ Then sometimes, a reprise at about 3:00 am. >

I am doing as I would with a puppy, and just not acknowledging it at all. He does not have to go potty. The other night I bit, got up, took him out to the backyard, and stood there for ten minutes while he walked around very casually, like, "Cool. I'm outside." :

We have had so much trouble with the crate and Simon. So much that, I sometimes question, honestly: Would he be happier outside? I mean really. I am thinking of his emotional well-being here, nothing else. But even that is a non-option, because AGAIN the other day, while they were out back for their morning romp, Simon dug another hole and went under the fence to play in the ditch. :-[ And he has proven that he is not fully trustworthy in the house. Ever since the chocolate covered cherry incident he has been on a strict crate regimen when we are not around.

He's up there right now, ip-ip-ipping. I just don't know how to make him like it. He gets Kongs. He has a nice bed that he chewed up, but I did replace it with some towels that he is leaving alone. We don't make a big deal of cooing over them when they're in their crates, and we don't forcefully put him in either. It's all very matter-of-fact.

Is he going to always be like this? And, if so, is crating him really cruel? :'( Maybe eventually I will feel comfortable leaving them both out in the house, but not yet. I think if I just had one of them or the other it would not be too scary, but I am afraid the two of them together would surely find a way to make trouble.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate issues. Again.

Crating isn't cruel. And personally, at his age, if he continued to carry on I'd get on his case and tell him to shut up or use an empty 2 litre bottle to smack on the crate and shut him up... ;D ;D ;D Sounds like a feasible plan if he doesn't get quiet. Yeah, I'm cruel

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy is only in the crate when we're not home. Buddy just barely tolerates his crate. Luckily, at night he is completely trustworthy. Maybe if he woke up at all he would get into trouble, but once he hits the hay, he's out for the rest of the night.

Does Simon need to be crated at night? If I remember correctly, the boys don't sleep in your room, but maybe he would just sleep if he was in the same room as you. I can't think of any other ideas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You know, maybe crating at night *isn't* really necessary. Hmm. You know, I really hadn't thought of this. But he does usually just sleep. I dunno, I'll run it by Kevin and see what he thinks.

They're not sleeping in our room, but the room next door.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Connie, I wonder too if it's the combination of crating during the day + at night. Theo is crated at night because he tends to get up and wander around, and SU is a very light sleeper. But luckily for us he is totally trustworthy during the day. Still, he doesn't like the crate either at first (although we have conditioned it from Day 1) and frequently will whine for 5-10 minutes before settling down. I'm not a big meaniehead like Linda ( ), so I just ignore it and it stops after a few minutes. It's not that he dislikes the crate itself, so much, as he doesn't like being away from us.

I would give a free night a shot and see how it goes. If you don't want them in the bedroom with you, can you barricade them in the other room?

While all my kids like their crates/ex-pens, Katherine brings up a good point about not crateing at night. Belle, I can not trust 30 seconds during the day out of the crate if I am not in the house, but at night, she's just fine loose in the house. Kodi has recently had her house priviledges revoked during the day, but, like Belle, is just fine at night.

If the Simon can't be trusted at night, how about an ex-pen instead of a crate? All mine are in ex-pens now rather than crates (except when I have pups backs as boarders, then Kodi gets a crate 'cause she's rather small). They make tops for the ex-pens now, so they won't collapse if a dog jumps on the sides.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

our dogs are only crated when they are alone in the house. they would both have a very hard time being quite and calm if they were crated while someone was home. in fact the ONLY time luke vocalizes is when someone comes home, and he is in his crate. sometimes the dogs get short periods of free roam alone in the house, and he doesn't bark when we come home then. luke doesn't even bark when people come to the door, unless he is in his crate at the time.

luke has a history of SA, and taylor has a bit of a weak bladder in suddenly exciting/stressful situations. when taylor gets free roam and someone happens to come by the house, including our arrival, she leaks a small amount of urine. we would like to create a fully dog proofed room just for the dogs one day, where accidents can be easily cleaned up, but until then, they are crated.

both luke and taylor sleep in the bedroom with us, and i consider myself a light sleeper, but they mostly just sleep through the night, and su and i both feel better for the dogs to be with us at bedtime. it's just a personal preference, but the fact that they are crated during the day plays a HUGE part in why they sleep with us at night.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As others have said, maybe its time to try crate free. If my terrible boys were both crate free by 18 months old, I'm sure Simon can.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Since I've had Brigetta I have always had crate problems with her, so I don't have much advise. Since working with my trainer, I have been able to get her to go into her crate on her own (which was a huge achievement for her), but she is not happy in it for long. It doesn't matter how much exercise or kongs I give her, she doesn't like it. She has actually gotten out of her wire crate several times. Last Fall I got her a stronger wire crate which solved that problem. When I'm home I'll put her in her crate at random times for just a few minutes and when she is quiet I'll praise her and give her a treat, I'm hoping this will build up to making the crate a more positive experience for her, but I really don't know. I would like to leave her out during the day, but I know she could not be trusted. However at night she is absolutely fine outside of the crate. She sleeps through the night and every once in awhile I'll hear her get up for water, but then she goes right back to sleep. I would try letting Simon sleep out of the crate at night and see how that goes. Do they both sleep in crates in the other room?

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

As the others have said it's time to put the crate away at least at night. Nellie has been crate free at night since I got her at about 8 months. If you don't trust him crate free why not baby gate him in your bedroom at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast