Project poo.....

Thread: Project poo.....

ts_hunter is offline Junior Member

DefaultProject poo.....

Hank is a 1 year old yellow lab. He has been to 2 months of obedience and beginning gun dog training. He is completely house broken and waits patiently in his crate while the family is out. In other words, he is everything we could have wanted in a first dog. The one issue we would like to correct however is stopping him from doing #2 anywhere in the yard. Living in MN, if you don't get out and scoop every day, the snow can cover up piles and creates a mess when the snow starts melting.

Here are the parameters so far for the project. Hank is free to walk anywhere in the yard and we have invisible fencing. It seems that he does not like to do #2 when we are near him, but he will do it if he has to go bad enough. We have been taking him out on lead to the preferred spot, with limited success, but he usually only goes twice a day, so it is hard to gauge.

Does anyone have any tips to get him to do #2 in one general area???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Project poo.....

I sorry, I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say that I like your subject title.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Like the subject title too! ;D

The only suggestion I have would be to make sure you have a word that he associates with going potty. When you know he is about to go say that word. With Huckle I always told him as a puppy to "go Potty". It came in very useful later on when I needed him to go in a particular spot at a particular time. It was even more useful when he was an old man and was having some trouble with incontinence. I would basically order him to poop before he went to bed at night.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/1992

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I've had a couple Labs over the last 40 years and know of NO way of having them poop where you want them to poop.

Occasionally, someone posts on JL about how they have a 10 x 10 area filled with stream pebbles and their Lab is trained to P&P in that area.

That's maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 30.

MOST people post descriptions of frustration in trying to designate a particular spot.

I have no references to this but my strong suspicion is that pooping -- like peeing -- is used to mark territory.

And what self-respecting, reigning dog wants a territory only 8' x 8'? Or half that? Or even double that?

MY solution is to NEVER leave stools to pick up at some later time. I pick them up (using GLAD brand thin film sandwich bags or equivalent) immediately, as soon as they're produced.

Knowing the time of usual pooping helps a lot.

My Puff knows the time and approaches me, licking my face or any skin she can reach, when it's her time to poop.

EXERCISE HELPS GREATLY

I take Puff outside, "bowl" a softball down the sidewalk for her to chase and retrieve several times -- and then she poops. Usually on a neighbor's lawn which I immediately pick up.

As an alternative to the designated spot, if you canNOT get your Lab to poop in a particular place, you might try a similar method.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I can't help you with a designated place outside of what has been said. If you are going out with him, just pick it up at that time.

My only other suggestion is a dog run. Not one that he stays in, just a place to poop. We are looking at a new house in the spring and I told my SU that he is building a dog run before we move in. LOL. The dogs can come out into the yard when I'm out there ready to pick it up but if I am busy with the kids and I can't go out with the dogs, then they can go to the dog run so I don't have to do search and destroy when I go out to do poop clean up that night.

We had a dog that pooped on command but I always felt terrible playing that card. Poor Zodian would be happily sprinting along, enjoying his walk or just being outside with me. When it would start taking too long I would issue the command, Do your business. The poor dog would get this worried look in his eyes, start scanning the area in a panic and then squat to well...do his business. It just seemed like strange and unusual punishment so I never gave the command unless we were both freezing to death. He's the only dog we've had that reacted to the command like that, Indi and Petey will just look up and wag their tails then continue on their way but in Zodian it would cause a physical reaction and I'm pretty sure he was humilated each and every time.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

I'm just happy mine go outside! I haven't figured out a way to limit them to a certain area.

Brookville, Pa.