Indy's first injury

Thread: Indy's first injury

DefaultIndy's first injury

My first dog-a 7 month old named Indy-had his first injury today and I'm a little bit worried. I took him to the dogpark, and like any 7 month old, as soon as we got inside and he saw the other dogs he took off running towards them. The two he was headed towards were both stocky little bulldog types, and Indy sort of jumped over the bigger of the two. This big dog didn't like it too much and flipped him over. Indy yelped, the big dog jumped on him a little bit, and Indy kept yelping. The owners of the bulldog pulled him away, and Indy started back towards me, limping.

It seems that when he got rolled over, he injured his front right paw/leg. As he limped back to me, that leg was clearly the unsteady one and occasionally it would bend back so that the top of his paw would hit the ground instead of the bottom. Seeing that made me really uneasy, but when I checked him out and applied pressure around the leg he didn't seem to be in any pain...so I guess it's not broken. He got up and walked around a little, and even tried to run and play. He still seems a little shaky on it, but can walk ok for the most part.

I guess I'm wondering whether these sorts of things happen normally and heal themselves, or whether I really need to get him checked out at the vet. I don't want to take him to the vet for it if it's not necessary, and was wondering there is anything I can do here at home. Do things that help people (ice, ACE bandages or tape) help dogs? Would it be silly for me to wrap his ankle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Indy's first injury

It could be a bruise but if he is still limping on it I would take hime to the vet for an x-ray. Better to be safe then sorry. Hope it is nothing serious.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Sorry about Indy.
    You could apply an icepack. Wouldn't hurt, but not an expert
    I would measure with a tape measure, the part you think he injured, then do the same thing to the other paw. Check to see if swelling occurs.

I'm a worry wart myself...I would go to the vet.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i would definately go to the vets..better safe then sorry. ice might help yes.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I would probably take him and get it x-rayed. Enev if it is nothing you'll feel better and know better how to treat it.

On the dog park I would caution against it at his age. I have a 7 month old also and I am not sure I will take him there. It is a public park and you don't know anything about the owners or the dogs. I guess I've heard too many horow stories on here about some dog parks. On the other hand there are some good ones too and they can be a great experience for you and your dog. Maybe I am overly cautious on this one but I do not feel comfortable taking mine to a dog park...at least until he is fully grown.

Interesting thoughts about the dogpark....I've been taking him to the dogpark since he was 3 or 4 months old. He's my only dog, so he wouldn't have any social opportunities otherwise, and I wanted to be sure to socialize him.

As for the injury, I would be shocked if it's broken, since he's walking around fine for the most part, and doesn't express any displeasure when I move his leg around. So if it's not broken, what exactly would a vet even do?

they will just give him xrays and make sure everything is okay. has it swelled up at all, and is it still hurting him?

I haven't measured and compared his legs, but it doesn't appear to be swollen. He's acting normal...I gave him a bath and he hated it, I tried to dry him with the hairdryer and he hated it, but he's not whimpering or anything.

I think I'm just going to try to keep him inactive tonight and see how he is tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all of your advice.