CGC class

Thread: CGC class

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

DefaultCGC class

I'm so excited! Tomorrow Sundance and I start a three-session CGC course and we take the test on March 17. I'm Irish, so I hope that day will be lucky for us.

I think he'll do fine, but I need guidance on how to train him for some of the tasks. The main one I'm worried about is the long stay with me leaving his sight. We've been practicing in the backyard, but he's such a velcro dog that in a new environment, he might try to find me. I really enjoy working with him, so even if he doesn't pass this time, I'll chalk it up to experience.

I just made a doggy day care reservation for the 16th, and plan to take an extra long walk with him the morning of the test, so hopefully he'll be tired and extra dog desensitized.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: CGC class

When we did the CGC, the long stay was on a leash with someone else holding him. He just had to remain calm and not seem terribly distressed that I was gone. No barking, or pulling to try to follow me. He was fine with that and I'll bet your's will be too. Best of luck!

Frances

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

We practiced the being w/a friendly stranger for 3 minutes w/friendly strangers.

First in the yard, then at dog class, then at the mall. Work up to 3 minutes. I think we started in seconds first, then went gradually up to 3.

Hope that helps.

oh, and GOOD LUCK!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

That is what is so nice about taking the class. You will really get a sense of how well he will do and what to target. Good Luck!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Hey there! How exciting!

Good plan on the wearing out the day before.

On the supervised separation, I am going to bet that he will be just fine. 8) I did this with a lot of dogs in the classes I assisted, and there were a very low percentage who couldn't pull this off. Even some who were reported "Mommy's babies" and their owners were just sure they would raise hell the entire time they were gone, were quite happy to just sniff around my feet for three minutes.

The only thing that would get him is if he whined excessively, or peed (unless the test is outside, in which case I think peeing is legal). They don't have to maintain a perfect "stay," just remain sort of calm and not whine or bark "excessively." I was told one or two little whines were no big deal. Of course, maybe it varies. But on our tests, it is fine to explore the area, sniff around and act interested. And a whine or two when the owner first leaves is OK.

I think you'll do great! If the supervised separation is your biggest problem, then I think you are going to ace it! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Good luck!!! Buck and I plan to take the test soon too! ;D
    I am sure Sundance will do fine on the out of sight stay. Like the others said they don't have to stay still in one spot. They just have to be able to cope being there without you. Seeing that Sundance goes to doggy daycare and stuff he will probably be just fine being left with someone for 3 - 5mins

Our main issue is greeting behaviour : This is what has kept us from taking the test for MONTHS!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

georgie is offline Senior Member

We took a class too before the CGC test. We practiced the long stay with a stranger holdoing the leash. We also were taking the TD course the same time as the CGC & so we were able to have Molly practice with people who had walkers & there were people using wheelchairs. All the added distractions helped when it was time to take the tests.
    Good luck.

Mocha about flunked the supervised seperation part :-[ She did pass her but she's not great at it she did whine some but not as much as she did when we practiced. I took a 6 week class and the test was on week 6. She did awesome with everything except that and geting petted she was a little antsy but she stayed sitting and didn't try to lick her so she passed.

It depends on the evaluator too how strict they are.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

have fun! ;D and good luck!

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford