10 21.74%
  • Other

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did You Have a Nut Pup?

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid You Have a Nut Pup?

Anthony's dilemna got me thinking...
    I'd be interested to see if more people had nut pups, or more people had very well behaved puppies.

If you had a nut, at what age did you see some calmness?

I for one, had a highly socially driven nut pup, who I thought had aggression tendencies. Zoe was a nut, who drove me nuts. Zoe stopped biting at 5 months, but I saw a drastic change in about 7 months; earned her CGC at 8 months, became a teenager at 9, and at 1 year old, she seemed to have calmed down considerably.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Did You Have a Nut Pup?

Summer was a very hyper puppy! We started to notice a difference after about a year, now she is 2 she is phenomenal, She still plays like crazy at play time but other than that she is just your loyal dog who obeys everything you say!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Nut pup here. :P

Chewed my arms and fingers, attacked my legs, thought he had rabies or a brain tumor, cornered me several times and had me afraid to move, his nickname was "The Mongoose," was worried I was going to be in for 12-14 years of pure hell, wondered what I had done in my life to deserve this...etc.

It improved little by little, almost imperceptibly at first. Then at about a year, about the time we got Simon, he had started to calm down a great deal. Now at two, he's a perfect angel. Really. I sit over him and coo and kiss his head and just generally spend a lot of time watching him in sheer admiration. Now that's something I NEVER would have dreamed when we were going through his puppyhood!

Very ironically, when we got Simon it was because I wanted a "good" dog. He was going to be my sweet, loving boy, the one who could always be depended on to do the right thing. And now, guess what? Simon has FAR more behavioral problems than Angus. :-\ Oh well! Maybe he'll grow out of some of this too!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Took until about age 2 for Clancey, 1 for Harper.

Emmy was a extremely hyper dog (and still is) but she really started to calm down around 2. She still needs TONS of time and attention to give her the exercise she needs but it isn't as bad as before.

Nina on the other hand was the laziest puppy and is still the laziest dog you will probably ever meet... No complaints with her.

Emmy was the terror

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Kody was a nipper and biter until about 6 months old. I remember having both forearms be black and blue and yellow with bruises and puppy teeth marks. He used to torment my wife by biting at her legs like some others have mentioned. He was wired and unruly too. He improved by his first birthday, but everything changed almost to the day of his second birthday. He became a mature and much more controlled dog. Now he is simply awesome.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Murph and Joker were nut puppies with a capital "N". At just over 2 years old, Joker is still a nut puppy. As it is, I can't ever see him maturing. Murph on the other hand did calm down a lot after he was 18 months although he still has PLENTY of moments. :

Maisy was a pretty good puppy but she has always been a major butt head to train. At 6 years old she is still quite active but also lazy, if that makes sense. Walking at this time of year is NOT her thing...she hates it and would rather stay at home on the couch. I think if I didn't drag her out the door (literally) to exercise she would be the size of a whale as she is such a food nut.

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

We were so fortunate with Tucker, he was and still is an angel. He didn't come from the best genetic background (BYB, we didn't understand at the time) so he did suffer some health problems in the first year but behaviour-wise there has never been an issue. Tucker has never gone into the garbage, never chewed on furniture or shoes, never pulled toilet paper around the house and didn't bark until he was 6 mos (we were beginning to think he was mute!). Now at 2 he just lays around the house while we are at work, touching nothing and waits for us. Don't get me wrong he does get very very excited when we get home, when others come over or at the dog park but not obnoxiously so. Everyday we say, there will NEVER be another dog like Tucker. We really do feel fortunate which is why we are reluctant to add another dog to the mix, we want to but have been really spoiled with our angel!!

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thunder will be 4 in April and is still nutty/hyper as ever. He had not calmed down at all!!!! Simba (15mos) on the other hand, nutty, but not to the excess that Thunder is.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

No, Tucker wasn't a nut pup. Our story is similar to Tuckersmom (maybe it's dogs named Tucker that are this way? ;D)

He did the normal puppy nipping and biting, and chasing the grandkids, which wasn't popular, with those little teeth. Aside from that, he was always mild and calm....still is. We're spoiled

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast