Has the age changed when you can take a puppy out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the age changed when you can take a puppy out?

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas the age changed when you can take a puppy out?

When mine were little, I was told not to take them where they could get exposed to other dogs until they were 16 weeks old and had all there shots. Now I see posts where they are saying all you need are the first two set of shots so they might be only 10-12 weeks????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Has the age changed when you can take a puppy out?

I think the general concensus is still 16 weeks, after ALL shots.

But there are some (like myself) that feel that the stage between 8-12 weeks is a very important time for socialization (all the puppy books say so), and as long as you don't take the pup to areas that could be high risk, like a dog park, a big city park, you can find safe places to take a younger pup with some of their shots.

My trainer (when we got Grace and lived in CA) is heavily into hunt tests/field trials. And through her encouragement we started Grace in puppy training at 10 weeks. Her experience is that many of those who compete with their dogs bring their pups out early to get used to the noises etc. We had no problems with taking our pup out that young. Just as long as you are sure the dogs that they meet are cared for by good owners, it's usually OK.

But it ends up being a risk YOU need to evaluate and decide on yourself.

frenchie is offline Senior Member

Yes I think 16 weeks is still the case because of the rabbies shot, I don't think they can get it earlier.

I remember not taking Soleil for walks outside in parks, etc. and not to put him in contact with other dogs until he was 4 months old. However, until then, I was with him every day outside so that he would get use to traffic, streetcars, I would take him into the subway and the bus, etc. The only thing is that I carried him all the time in public places. I welcomed people to pet him so that he would get used to that as well. Just didn't let other dogs come too close. I took him to some stores (bookstores, etc.), but avoided pet stores.

Am I mistaken but an adult dog that has all the shots could still carry some virus, right? The difference is that they don't get sick from it? Someone corrects me if I'm wrong

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I personally think you miss some critical training time. I say as long as the pup has had 2 sets of shots (in some cases that is around 9 weeks). Honestly, if hey are safe enough to send home at 7.5-8 weeks and exposed to everything my dogs are exposed to why do breeders send them home at that age? Why don't they wait until 16 weeks?

Most puppy socialization classes start when the pup has had 2 sets of shots.
    Kim

Just my opinion, but after having two dogs undersocialized and one dog I did it right; I think you should take your pup everywhere it can go as soon as you get it home. I am still cautious about the vet office (I carry my pup in and out) and parks where strange dogs roam.
    One thing you can do if you live in a small town like I do is ask the vet if he has seen parvo cases and where they are coming from. My vet is really good about letting people know if he has seen an unusually large cases of parvo.

I train service dogs and my own personal dogs and we start taking them out at 8-10 weeks. If you wait until they are 16 weeks old, you lose out on the most important age to socialize. You just need to be careful about where you go. Luckily where I live we do not seem to have problems. Where I train and help teach, the puppy classes start at 10 weeks of age.

I have always started after my pups first set of shots and a fecal to make sure he's parasite free - at 8wks or soon after. I start obedience classes at around 8 wks. I've never had a problem, and hopefully never will....

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I waited until 18 weeks to enroll in any classes. I also kept Sami in our yard until then. We have kids and they always have friends over, so Sami got to see people of all shapes and sizes. We also invited a few doggie friends that we knew were innoculated and in good health, so she had plenty of doggie socialization too. I don't regret waiting. She has a terrific temperment - loves everyone and everything - I don't think there was any harm done.

it's whenever you vet decides that it's time for shots. they can get there shots as young as 8 weeks old.
    8 weeks old is whenever the mothers antibodies from her milk goes away.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I started taking Tal with me at 9 weeks. he has always played with my neighbors JRT tho but I know them and their dog. Like you I worried that it might be too much of a risk. But looking back it really wasn't because I was very particular about who tal could play with. I took him for rides so he would be used to the car. We spent alot of time outside and he has been exposed to people of all ages so he is comfortable around adults or children.

I also agree that you'd miss out on valuable socialization before 16 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast