Dixies Mom

Thread: Dixies Mom

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultDixies Mom

You and Zoesmom have commented about how intense Remi seems to be in her hunting and training pics. And she really is.

I've worked Soooooooo hard at steadying her you wouldn't believe it. In other words she is trained so that she MUST remain steady and not move when a bumper is thrown, a gun is shot, another dawg takes it's turn, etc. Moving from her designated sit position (also called breaking) is a cardinal sin and is usually overcome in OB at well under a year. SIT means SIT, right? Not with Remi. She is soooooo hyper and wants sooooo much to retrieve every bumper that it's been a monumental 2 year struggle for me to overcome with her. Those intensity poses you see is her straining to NOT move against all desire and contrary to her very genes!

This was taken in yesterday afternoon's training session using a Retriever-R-Trainer that literally shoots a bumper up to 100 yards with a following wind. ( http://www.gundogsupply.com/-970-.html )

It makes a very loud report, it shoots a dummy much higher and farther than I'm capable of throwing it, and I had Cappy (perceived competitor) sitting in the bed of the ATV watching close by. All three of those can be very distracting to Remi and increase the temptation for her to "break".

I've finally gotten her to the point that I can shoot three bumpers from next to her to different landing zones well apart without her moving from her sit position until verbally released. Here she is "marking" the flight and landing spot of two. Every muscle in her body is taught and quivering but she remains seated waiting for the verbal "REMI" release command.

"Remi mark"

"Remi mark"

And then the verbal release with me at her side giving her a "line" that I want her to take by extending my left hand out in front of her nose pointing towards the dummy I want her to go for ... "REMI"

That last one is a pick-up on the fly and it's not unusual for me to have to clean grass and dirt from her teeth that she's picked up with the bumper because of the full speed enthusiastic charges and returns.

:
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dixies Mom

Gosh, she looks great Jim. Great training on your part, too!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Remi looks like she is enjoying every minute.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

She's young and will "get it". She does now, but still eager to goooooooooo...

Just have to say, love your stories and pictures!!!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Thunders Mom

I just can't get over how much your two look like mine when Remi was 6 months. Colors are almost identical and the faces are very similar.

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

Jim, thanks for the post. You have apparently worked really hard with her, and she apparently LOVES what she does. She is a beautiful girl, and I know you are proud of her!

It's so inspiring to see what dedicated training will do!