Uh OH, the wife looking to find Brandy a new home.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh OH, the wife looking to find Brandy a new home.

DefaultUh OH, the wife looking to find Brandy a new home.

OK, we've had Brandy for a month. She's a beautiful 3+ month old yellow lab.

It seems that while I'm working, Brandy is torturing my wife. She wants attention, and my wife has the children and other things to tend to. I enjoy her after a long day at work, but my wife is losing her patience.

I intend to introduce my wife to this site, so please post your support, and maybe she'll see things differently.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Uh OH, the wife looking to find Brandy a new home.

what was the agreement before poor brandy came into the picture?

Would it be possible to start crating Brandy during the day. To give your wife and the kids abit of a break. They could take her out for potty breaks and quickly put her back in.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

chocco_23 Guest

Maybe, you could take her to a doggy daycare centre a couple of times a week just to give your wife a break. But i could never give up a dog, now I've got Belle. They are too special to give up.
    You are right she does look like a very pretty girl.
    Hope this has helped, please keep us informed

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It was my wife that begged me to get her.
    The dog is crated, house trained, and extremely bright.

The problem is....when the dog sees the kids running around the house, she wants to be part of it, so she cries, and barks in her crate. If my wife lets her out, she butt-tucks all through the house, and wants to "play rough" with the kids. She can't see to find a happy medium.
    When I'm around, the dog is the "perfect pet".

chocco_23 Guest

Also, your girl is still relatively young and still 'wild', Belle is 2 1/2 years old and still wild, they don't mellow until they are older. Just give Brandy time and keep suporting your wife, Brandy needs someone to play with and it is difficult for a mother who has children to look after as well as a pup.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I brought Rowan home as a 7 wk old puppy and I knew that it would be a lot of work but until you are "IN" the situation you don't realize how much.

I work out of the home and have two children - the crate has been a godsend. It not only is a place to 'give me a break' but also a nice quiet spot for the puppy too.

Rowan is now 7 months old and she is the love of my life.... (SHH, don't tell my husband).

Note to your wife: I as a mother, can totally relate to your feelings but PLEASE don't give up on the puppy. Be consistent - invest in some kongs, bully stix and knuckle bones for those 'chewy' times ..... I can honestly say, the few months of extra hard work will pay off in the end ~ you will have a beautiful, loyal companion.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

chocco_23 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    the few months of extra hard work will pay off in the end ~ you will have a beautiful, loyal companion.
    I second that

kaytris is offline Senior Member

how much exercise does she get? If you took her for a run or rousing game of fetch before you went to work and again when you got home, that will probably help.

Also, although crate time is useful as a 'break', you want to teach her good manners so that she's a well behaved family member. This website has some wonderful ideas: http://hometown.aol.com/morndogs/myhomepage/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

What if you put the crate in a quiet place in the house. Give the pup some time outside (say 20mins here and there to exercise). Then put her back in and let the kids run around. Maybe even put a PB kong in the crate to entertain her.
    If she cries let her cry, she is safe in her crate.

Question for the others - Can you train the pup to be "quiet" when the kids are running around or is that too much to ask? I'm thinking if she were on leash and given no slack until she relaxes...givin her more leash the more she relaxes then with time, she's be good around the kids when they are playing?

I guess it's true - we "know" it'll be alot of work but until you are living it ... who knows how you will react.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    how much exercise does she get? If you took her for a run or rousing game of fetch before you went to work and again when you got home, that will probably help.
    I'm up every day at 5:30am. I take Brandy for a "fast walk" at 6am, and a fetch and romp in our backyard for at least a 1/2 hour. At 7am she eats her first meal, then falls asleep in her crate, exhausted. I leave for the office at 9am, so I have lots of morning time for the dog.

I get home at about 6pm, and get BLASTED from the wife, about how crazy the house was all day.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast