Something I heard from a trainer last night - what do you think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I heard from a trainer last night - what do you think?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomething I heard from a trainer last night - what do you think?

I'm taking a "come when called" class with Moose to help work on his recall. So far I like the class and the trainer and we did things last night that are the basis for a good recall. This is what I thought was unusual. She said that if you crate your dog for 20 mins. with a cover over it that the dog will retain the information quicker following a training exercise.

Having never heard of this or done it I really can't say whether it is good or bad - just interesting. I don't intend to do it - it just isn't practical for me to do so, but wondered if anyone had heard of this before?
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LJ Guest

DefaultRe: Something I heard from a trainer last night - what do you think?

Haven't heard specifically of this before, and I doubt that there is any credible evidence to support this opinion. However, I do know that in some disciplines, the dog is kept crated/confined except when "working".

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Hmmm... I've never heard of this before. I believe (and have seen in happen when training my dog) that giving dog some time to "think over" an exercise is beneficial. As an example, I was training Scotty to "hold" his dumbbel and he was just spitting it out immediately after I moved my hands away from his muzzle. I was getting frustrated after over a week of daily training. So, I decided that rather than try it again and possibly get even more frustrated to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. When we tried to do a "hold" in a couple of weeks, Scotty "figured out" exactly what I was asking of him. So, there was some benefit in letting him sleep on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have experience the same type of thing, Tatyana!

Sharon, that's a new one on me! When I was reading, it made me think of the same thing as LJ...I remember reading about dogs who were confined and only brought out when it was "time to work." I don't even remember where I read this now.

Anyway, Hmmm!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I don't subscribe to this. I don't believe a dog has the capacity to sit and think about anything for 20 minutes. Dogs live in the here and now. They thrive in the moment. She may think her dog is thinking about his training session, but I'm pretty certain he's not. He's probably just snoozing

Caseys Mom Guest

I think there may be something to it! There's been a lot of research - both human and animal -the past few years that suggests that during sleep, newly learned tasks are reprocessed and secured in the memory. And dog in a covered crate would be more likely to curl up and go to sleep than one that's not confined.
    Here's a brief article on sleep and memory you might want to read:
    http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=brainBriefings_sleepAndLearning

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

never heard of it. sounds like superstitious thinking to me. the dog's recall may improve, but not necessarily due to being crated after a training session. it just so happened that the dog was crated each time, but really, it was the training itself that helped reinforce the recall behavior.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I don't subscribe to this. I don't believe a dog has the capacity to sit and think about anything for 20 minutes. Dogs live in the here and now. They thrive in the moment. She may think her dog is thinking about his training session, but I'm pretty certain he's not. He's probably just snoozing
    I agree. From what I have read a dog's short term memory is about 6 minutes.
    Olie

Never heard of it, and not sure I'd believe it.

patm is offline Senior Member

Maybe they think that if the dog isn't distracted by something else immedieatly after learning something, they will retain it better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast