What are the spots on my lab's legs?

Thread: What are the spots on my lab's legs?

DefaultWhat are the spots on my lab's legs?

Rocket has one little (and I mean 'little') spot on the front of his right leg, just between his paw and the first joint (knee?). It's scabbed over, and although he's had it for a couple of months with no improvement, it started to look a little bigger this past weekend, and I think a new one is forming under his fur a few inches above it.

The vet didn't know what the spot was, but did tell me it look like a "self inflicted hot spot" and gave me some liquid to treat it twice a day. (I don't have it at work so can't tell you what the med is, sorry) Since Monday, not a smidgen of improvement.

Does the spot I'm describing ring anyone's bells? I've seen hot spots before, and this doesn't look like one. I thought originally it was just where he scraped himself, but it wasn't healing, and I don't think it is yet.

I'd love to know what the heck it is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What are the spots on my lab's legs?

Is it on the 'elbow'? If so, these patches are common... it's dry skin from the dog lying around. Some Bag Balm can help.

I did read on the internet that using a topical antibacterial cream could help, but I've also been told (at obedience training) never to use these topicals on my dog.

What do y'all say about this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I use neosporin on Mocha when she gets a cut. I watch her so she doesn't lick it off though too. She's good at leaving things like that alone. She did have a sore on her back leg that took a long time to heal at least a month or more while it was scabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Wow, thanks for the links! By reading it, it sounds like the same type of wound. Although, I've never once seen my dog lick himself there or on his paws - that's not to say he isn't doing it when he's in his kennel during the day.

I appreciate this info!!

woops, wait a minute. the images I saw when I googled lick granuloma don't look anything like the spot on Rocket's leg.