Eating my back yard..Waaaa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating my back yard..Waaaa

DefaultEating my back yard..Waaaa

Hi..I'm sure this is normal..but..for instance..I feed him in the a.m., let him out to do potty..first thing he does is go for the junk laying around the yard..ie:grass, old dried stuff, dirt..etc. IS this normal? He's 3 months old today..and because he's in the housebreaking stage, we let him out a lot. Do other folks here have the same problem?
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Eating my back yard..Waaaa

My dog loves to chew on the sticks laying around the yard, and yesterday evening when we were out throwing the frisbee, he decided to chew on a rock.

He always drops it out of his mouth, though, but I still tell him NO.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

It's normal, but keep a very close eye on your puppy. Oh, and now would be a good time to work on the "leave it" command. It's one you'll come to use a lot! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

This is normal - I think it is more of a chewing thing than anything but they willswallow so you have to watch and start teaching "leave it' at this point.

Labs are very mouthy and learn by picking things up and chewing on them. I wouldn't leave him unattended in the yard. Start to teach him leave it and drop it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Do you mean he is eating the dirt/grass etc.?

As others have said, this is normal. He is being an inquisitive puppy. Make sure you keep a very close eye on him. I wouldn't worry about the grass eating though.

Ranger turned 12 weeks yesterday. He picks up EVERYTHING! I am constantly telling him no, drop it, and taking stuff out of his mouth. There has been too much snow to get things cleaned up well. Sometimes he won't even go potty because he is too busy picking stuff up! I always try and get him to drop it, but sometimes he runs to the door with his "prize" which is usually a stick. I worry about the small ones. I think this is pretty normal. Sure don't remember it being so bad with my girl Labs though. Maybe it has just been too long for me to remember ;D Good luck with your pup! I hope to get outside this weekend to get some things cleaned up. Amazing the things they can find that you don't even see until they have it in their mouth!

As others have said it's normal but it can be dangerous if he eats a rock or stick he cannot digest or pass. I would always take him out on leash for how. Teaching leave it is a lifesaver but you have to be there to correct them immediatley to teach it.

here is how we taught Mocha "leave it"
    Start out with a treat in you hand and let them sniff it so they know you have it. Close you hand he'll probably sniff at it and lick you hand trying to get the treat as soon as he leaves your hand alone or looks away from the treat give the treat and praise "good leave it". Do this a number of times until he's ignoring the treat right away with your hand closed then start with the treat in your open hand and repete when he leaves it along give him the treat and praise. I would say "leave it" when they noticed the treat if they went for it anyway give a verble correction "AHAH" and close my hand. Then try again when they successfully leave it give the treat and praise. Once they get it in your open hand you can set a treat on the floor, on their paw, or several treats and try it that way. Mocha's quite good with this now luckily.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We taught "Leave it" just like above.

It is indeed a very handy command. Angus, at two, has recently started to *really* get it, and it can be used in pretty much any situation. One thing I have always done with Angus is reward him copiously for looking away or leaving the object. He gets "jackpotted" for leaving something especially tempting. I think this will (hopefully) eventually ensure that no matter what it is, he will leave it alone, knowing that I am going to give him something far better!

Last night, just for fun, we were training with hot dogs. Hot dogs are his FAVORITE. I'd never done it just like this before, but thought I'd try throwing a hot dog on the ground, right in front of him, and asking him to leave it. Well, I had to actually say "Leave it" before I threw it, as he's too fast and I would only get "Le.." out of my mouth before he had snarfed it up if I waited. But he did, indeed, leave the hot dog, thrown right at his feet. And I made sure to reward him with half a dozen slices of hot dog just like the one he left

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thanks to all who answered..or commiserated. LOL!! I am working on leave it..right now. I will try all suggestions for the training of "leave it". Thanks again..
    Jackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast